Friday night Thunderstorm in the northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Anyone suffer any major damage from the storms that rolled through Friday night? We just finally got power and cell coverage back up from it. South jersey still has 10,000's of people without power. I went down to check on the boat and saw that if you had a roller furled headsail, the wind blew it open and then preceded to shred it.. Somehow mine unfurrled but didn't shred. Lot of damage.. A lot more than hurricane Irene.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
Billy - glad to hear you didn't have a lot of damage. We aboard but just north of the main front. I woke up when my cabin light up like daylight. In all my years I've never seen a lightning storm like that. There was so much lightning it stayed brightly lit up for extended periods of time which was a weird feeling. Our boat was rocking and rolling but not like you folks that took the brunt of it. That was a nasty blow. glad you have power back too in this heat.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Only one sailboat on our dock lost its headsail. We tried to save it but the conditions we so bad we couldn't even steady his boat enough to board it. No one in our small group suffered any damage (an umbrella being the exception) despite the craziness on board. We were laid over so far I had water on my deck an was looking at my neighbor's bottom. The marina lost a piling and the security shack which blew over.

The hotel didn't do so well. The new pool area was severely damaged (cabanas, furniture destroyed and the glass wall lost panels). With the holiday looming, I'm sure that repair is a priority.

I was supposed to get done work at midnight and head down to the boat but my sergeant called me in at 11:30 and told me I needed to leave now. Kept checking the radar and updating my family on board telling them to be ready for this ugly storm (zip up, secure cushions, etc.) Got on the boat with 10 minutes to spare. Just enough time to do everything I asked to be done before I got there! One thing I didn't get to was my bimini. Was certain I was going to lose it but luckily it made it through ok.

The mainland got it bad too. Lots of destruction and some deaths. Really bad storm that came up quick.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Only one sailboat on our dock lost its headsail. We tried to save it but the conditions we so bad we couldn't even steady his boat enough to board it. No one in our small group suffered any damage (an umbrella being the exception) despite the craziness on board. We were laid over so far I had water on my deck an was looking at my neighbor's bottom. The marina lost a piling and the security shack which blew over.

The hotel didn't do so well. The new pool area was severely damaged (cabanas, furniture destroyed and the glass wall lost panels). With the holiday looming, I'm sure that repair is a priority.

I was supposed to get done work at midnight and head down to the boat but my sergeant called me in at 11:30 and told me I needed to leave now. Kept checking the radar and updating my family on board telling them to be ready for this ugly storm (zip up, secure cushions, etc.) Got on the boat with 10 minutes to spare. Just enough time to do everything I asked to be done before I got there! One thing I didn't get to was my bimini. Was certain I was going to lose it but luckily it made it through ok.

The mainland got it bad too. Lots of destruction and some deaths. Really bad storm that came up quick.

We got hammered hard. It is Wednesday and still no power. The electric company says it will be Saturday at the earliest. I feel for those line guys working in this heat.

I've spent the last few days cutting trees off of my house.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
There are only three of us on moorings at our marina and all of us dragged our 150# mushroom anchors about 100 yards. Our furled headsail lost about 6 feet of the leech panel. The Cape Dory 28 downwind of us seems fine. The little Rhodes 22 in shore of us got swamped and sank. The yard guys moved us to slips while they reset the moorings.
We had no idea any of this had happened. I had to travel to eastern long Island on Friday and was out of touch all weekend. I got news of some storm damage from folks in the area and the broken trees and power crews got worse the closer we got to the yard last night. Arriving at the marina, to an empty mooring field is not a good feeling. Considering the 70 knt winds reported, we got off light.

Status
Not open for further replies.