Can't figure out what this is on my foredeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 27 CA Delta
We just purcashed a 1981 Catalina 27 that has rigging for and sails for a spinnaker. This is not a tall-rig but just a standard rig. On the foredeck there is a piece of equipment that we can't identify just in front of the mast. HELP

Attachments

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
self tending.. the Jib can manage itself like the main sail does, but the jib would have to end forward of the mast.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 27 CA Delta
Thank you ... we now have roller furling so I believe this has to go ... tripping over it on the foredeck ... ha

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No, no, no. Just because you have roller furling doesn't mean the self tending won't work. They are two separate things.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 27 CA Delta
Do you really think it is something we would use?? Hate having things cluttering up the deck ... I think I understand that it is used like the traveler for the main sail but is it really necessary for just Delta-style cruising?

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i'm not sure what the item is, but if you want a selr-tacking jib it needs to be a fairly small sail specifically made.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 27 CA Delta
Thank you ... that's what I figured so I'm going to remove it and put it up for sale for anybody looking for something like this ...

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
The main sheet traveler and traveler looks non-standard for Catalina-27's too. Perhaps the previous owner was trying to keep the cockpit as clear of running rigging as possible?

I've never seen anything like that on any foredeck of any boat. Interesting.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Cocktail cruising could not be easier than with a self-tacker. You have nothing to tend but your tiller, your mainsheet, and a SINGLE jib sheet.

The admiral on my boat would greatly appreciate it...

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I knewn I'd seen that rig before but couldn't remember, till now. If you look at the second picture on the attached link it appears to be a similar rig on a Catalina 270. I'd look around and talk to some of the other delta sailors. Appears self-tacking rigs are used by many in your area.
http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/self-tackers.htm
On the 270 the lower forward shrouds appear to be missing, not sure if your standing rig has been otherwise modified for the self tacker.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
A self tending jib in a 50 yard wide channel would be what the last batch of teenage girls and "in" adults would call "to die for".
Tacking up a channel like that manually would get real old, real fast.
Try it for a while, you might love it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
A self tending jib in a 50 yard wide channel would be what the last batch of teenage girls and "in" adults would call "to die for".
Tacking up a channel like that manually would get real old, real fast.
Try it for a while, you might love it.
Very good approach.

Do you really think it is something we would use?? Hate having things cluttering up the deck ... I think I understand that it is used like the traveler for the main sail but is it really necessary for just Delta-style cruising?
Before you take anything off your new boat, 1) figure out what it is - good for you, you asked and learned something; 2) try it out before you discard it.

Since you're in the Delta, you may be aware of the narrow channels. Some you simply can't sail upwind in, like many of the sloughs, but I've sailed upwind from Three River Reach to Light 41 on the San Joaquin, on our Catalina 25 many times, and wished I had that rig.

Your boat, your choice. Just don't be hasty.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it sounds to me like you have something others are envious of.... and you want to discard it?..... I sail a 21footer, but I can clearly see the advantage of a self tending jib, and if I had a bit more room like a larger boat, i would love to have something to take the work out of tacking.... like philwsailz said, other than trimming the sails, if needed, all you have to do is steer. but then if you are ocean sailing where you are always cruising on a long tack or running a spinnaker a lot, it probably is unnecessary and in the way.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
The patched holes on your boat will look worse in reality than this does in your mind now. It really looks quite nice.

In a storm, anything sturdy to hold on to, is a plus.

This will greatly add to the resale value of your sailboat, leave it be. IMHO

Sep 9, 2011
Catalina 320 Alameda
If you look on-line, you will not find many self tacking hardware kits. The one in your picture looks very well designed and if you should choose to remove it, you may be able to find a buyer for it, but your market will be limited to sailors who are experienced with the concept.

When we purchased a C25 with a club jib, we thought it was a crazy idea. However it was windy in the bay and the club jib was about the right size for the conditions so we tried it. It did not take long before we were sold. We are not racers and had a young child who needed tending. Not needing an extra pair of hands to trim the sheets while pounding up San Pablo Bay to weather was very helpful.

So when we purchased our current boat, we wanted a self tending jib. After some research it was clear that the best alternative was to install a Hoyt Jib Boom. It gives good trim through most points of sail. However, with an anchor locker, there was no place to mount it. The next best approach is the track configuration you have now. It is ideal if the track runs from toe rail to toe rail accross the boat to get the widest choice of sheeting angle, but that is not always possible. The lower shrouds on a Catalina conflict with this approach unless the rig is modified to remove the ones forward of the mast. Our approach was to install the track just between the lowers and live with the lack of outboard sheeting capability.

The small jib can be a roller furler. Ours is and we like it. It does need to be purpose built for your boat. A 110 rolled up to 75 or 80% will not set well, but it would give you an idea of how self tacking works. The better solution is to change out the jib as required for the sailing conditions. We just use the self tacking jib and reef the main for conditions. Some day we'll get a light air Genoa that free flies on a luff line like an asymetrical, but for now the iron jib does well when the wind dies out.

If you no longer have the small jib in your inventory, look for an inexpensive used jib from a smaller boat that has the same luff tape configuration. A $100 might be well spent to see if you find value in the approach.

If you are a Delta racer, you either need a strong reliable crew or to keep the self tacking configuration. If you are a bay racer, you likely need to remove the system unless you single hand a lot.

Good luck with your new toy.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
As others have suggested, this is DEFINITELY for a self-tacking jib. If I had one on my boat, it would keep it, but it depends on the kind of sailing you do. If you do much single-handing or frequently have less-than-seasoned crew, then this is nice to have. If you find yourself tacking frequently, again, it's nice to have.

I certainly wouldn't remove it until you had learned to use it (quite simple) and decided that you don't like it. And, of course, having it doesn't mean that you have to use it all of the time. It's not so appropriate for light winds when you're going to want more headsail, but for beating upwind, particularly in high winds, it makes life much better.

It is unusual to find one on a boat of this size.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 27 CA Delta
Thank you, Faris ... that seems to be the general advice ... we're going to play with it a bit ... not sure how it will work with the roller furling but as you say, may make life simpler for sure ... we are definitely NOT well-seasoned sailors and are just the two of us ... in the CA Delta (inland waters but can be quite stiff winds in the Spring/Summer) ... thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.