macgregor on lake michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niti

Mar 10, 2012
tbd tbd chicago
My husband and I are looking to buy a sailboat for Lake Michigan. We want it for social and personal fun. Take the kids, family and friends. We like what we've seen about the MacGregors...however, are not getting good feedback from other sailors for Lake Michigan.

Any thoughts?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
First we love our Mac and would buy another if we were looking today for how we want to use a sailboat. We want to tow to lots of different places if possible and the boat is great for that, but if you were going to put the boat in a slip for at least the sailing season and not trailer to different locations I'd buy a fixed keel boat with more ballast and more room inside.

The other advantage to the Mac or any trailerable boat is being able to take it home to work on it and do mods if you like that kind of thing. If you are close to a marina and they will allow work on the boat then again the trailer deal wouldn't be necessary.

If you are comparing a Mac to other trailerable boats only I don't think it makes much difference. Get what you think is best for you.

You also don't say which Mac models you are looking at. The newer X or M power sailors with water ballast or the Classic S & D (low hp) with water ballast or the earlier boats with a heavier swing keel with ballast in the keel.

Most people that will talk to you about their opinion of Mac's have no idea of the range of models and the differences in them and will base their opinion on hearsay or experience with just one model. The Internet is full of that BS about Macs. Read through that,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

niti

Mar 10, 2012
tbd tbd chicago
We are looking at the MacGregor S or X. We do want to keep in in the water during the sailing season and potentially trailer it on a trip or two.

Thank you for your response.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We are looking at the MacGregor S or X. We do want to keep in in the water during the sailing season and potentially trailer it on a trip or two.

We had narrowed our field down to those two models also. Since there are only the two of us on the boat the S had appeal since it sails somewhat better than an X and is lighter on the trailer.

We took one other couple once with us for 3 days. The S was small for that. The X might have some appeal if you have more on board as it is a lot bigger down below and the higher speed is often mentioned as an asset with kids and water toys. Also where you are the higher speed if the waves haven't gotten high might get you to shelter.

Have you been on both? I'd for sure try and do that before making a decision. They are both 26 feet in length, but looking at them side by side they are totally different boats and I think that extends to how they are out on the water also.

There has also been a lot of discussion on the other Mac board...

http://www.macgregor26x.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=8dd3555488b64f49ef99e03d5f64dd06

....about the X and M that might be of interest to you. A couple of the posters had S's also,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
[/FONT]Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Dec 14, 2008
Tartan 30 Bayfield, WI
My husband and I are looking to buy a sailboat for Lake Michigan. We want it for social and personal fun. Take the kids, family and friends. We like what we've seen about the MacGregors...however, are not getting good feedback from other sailors for Lake Michigan.

Any thoughts?
We sail almost exclusively on Lake Michigan in the summer with our '92 26 S. We are on the North Shore of Chicago... but launch out of Winthrop Harbor as it has no Ramp Fees. I have NO issues with Lake Michigan... like any body of water and with any sailor, you need to know your personal skill limits and your boats limits, and not try to push them. In my opinion, the Great Lakes can be more challenging to sail than the oceans, mainly due to the wind generated waves that have no natural rhythm. There are days that it is too windy to sail...and there are days where there is NO wind. you take the good with the bad...mother nature doesn't always cooperate.
I have a wife and 2 children (11 and 8 years old) and we love going out in the lake. NOW, I would be very cautious about a lake crossing...or any long distance on the lake out of sight of land, but we have done some long distance cruises (long for us) up and down the western shore of Lake Michigan. And as Sumner stated... the best part about a Mac is that you can pack it up and go somewhere else... Like Canada... The Florida Keys... inland lakes...Yellowstone Lake... etc...
Would I like a bigger boat? ...sure, who wouldn't... but I wouldn't give up my Mac and the ability to go anywhere I want with it...

Hope that helps you...

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I really like my 26S. As others have said it is very easy to trailer. I didn't want to be locked into Lake Ontario, so this was a big part of my decision. Like Sumner said, if you like doing mods the boat needs them to make it comfortable for cruising. I keep mine in a boat compound on the trailer where all the rigging can stay up. This saves me $1200 a year in slip fees. The boat with all the rig up takes me about 5-10 minutes to launch and retreive. I also do this single handed. I get a lot of comments about how easy I made it look to pull out such a large sailboat.
As for sailing. Get some lessons if you havn't sailed before. The boat is tender and heels easily. They are a cheap boat and as such didn't come with a lot of sail control. With some mods the boat can be sailed in some pretty high winds and rough water. I've had mine in 20+ knts of wind.
I've only trailered it a couple of times to other places and it was a joy.
Good luck with your choice.

rfrye

Sep 23, 2011
MacGregor 26M Racine, WI

Any thoughts?
I own a 2010 26M and slip it in Racine, WI. I've used mine the past two seasons on Lake Michigan. I'll be putting in sometime near mid-April and if you'd like to go out on mine you're more than welcome. I'd also be happy to try to answer any questions you have.
Bob

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I am currently the owner of my third Mac (a Mac V2-22). It is great in shallow waters, easy to trailer & beach ... I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your boat.

Jul 5, 2004
Macgregor 26x south haven michigan
I've owened my X for 11 years and have always sailed on the Great Lakes. My home port is South Haven Mi., so I do most of my sailing on Lake Michigan. The Mac is the perfect boat for me on the lake. I have taker JAWS Beaver Island in northern lakeMi. Sailed the 30 miles from Charlevoix thru 2-4 footers. No trouble. I was caught in a storm many years ago that produced 6-8 foot waves. NO FUN, but the Mac handled it. Would not reccomend looking for that rough of seas, but JAWS ( my boat name) stayed dry.
I would reccomend a Mac to anyone looking for a motor sailor.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas
Wally, captain of J.A.W.S.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl

Any thoughts?

how much are slip fees in chicago?

fwiw, you got 4 pages on the 1st thread.... w/ a lot of typical mac bashers...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
When the Mac bashing takes place I just ask the bashers what model?

The 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 36 or that big 65 footer that set those speed records?

If they should get the length right then the next question is the model, S, D, X or the M?

I know of three Mac accidents and all three were operator error but only one boat sank because the foam was removed.

Ya think those boats with thousands of pounds of lead inside will float once they fill with water?

For you I would recommend a X or M.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When the Mac bashing takes place I just ask the bashers what model?

The 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 36 or that big 65 footer that set those speed records?

Right on... and how many Macs have been sold? The number is staggering. Yes they are relatively inexpensive. Yes you can find boats with higher quality gear, etc. but at what cost? And does higher quality gear necessarily make a boat sail better? I guess it depends on what gear you are talking about.;)

I took a short leave as a mac owner and went through two different Coronado sailboats... and after a few years came back to the Mac.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Reading all the Mac bashing comments, a person might think Mac's are the most inferior boats ever manufactured. ;)

Dec 15, 2011
Oday 20 SF Bay Area/Monterey Bay
Niti, I posted this in the main forum but would not blame you if you don't read through that garbage laden bash fest...

After reading this thread some of you make it sound as though the Bering Sea would be more suitable for a trailer sailor than Lake Michigan. Perhaps Discovery Chanel should come film a series on the sailors of Lake Michigan and those brave souls that dare boat those waters.(Exaggerated for effect)

Niti, buy the Mac and enjoy it. Drop the laundry and motor in if it gets rough. Also known as picking your weather window and using your head. Something I suspect EVERYBODY does not JUST on Lake Michigan, regardless of what kind of keel they have. It will make a good first boat that will give you the experience to decide if sailing IS your thing. It will also be easy to sell should you decide to move up to another boat later.

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
I went through the Mac bashing gauntlet when I was shopping too.
It seems that they all compare the Mac to much more expensive boats, or faster boats with full keels. That's not really fair.
The Mac's do truly fill a niche. The 26S or D, it seems to me has the most interior volume pound for pound as anything you will find. Can be towed with a modest vehicle, and will sail in any water that you want to be on.
The X and M, are bigger interior volume, but are heavier and more expensive, but still way cheaper and more trailerable than the other, non water ballast boats.
If you always trailer, you can't go wrong with a Mac.

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
That is eminently doable. The X and M are great general purpose family boats. You can sail, waterski, tow tubes, fish, go aground on a beach, etc.

Think about ramp access for the times you'll want to trailer it. Lot's of owners use marinas on the north or sough side of downtown Chicago.

You'll want to consider ramp access for any trailering you plan to do.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
FWIW, I'd like to state I love my 26S too! You'd be hard pressed to find an owner or former owner of a Mac, advise you not to buy one. I think that's quite telling don't you? It's true the bashers have little to none, firsthand experience with one. And as Doehunter pointed out, they usually compare other boats that are not in the same class at all.

These boats indeed, are built light for ease of trailerability. True, they are sparsely rigged to keep cost down. But also true, you don't hear about any failure with standing rigging or the hulls. Any accidents you hear about are due to stupidity of the skipper. They perform very well for their intended purpose.

Since you stated you’re interested in potentially trailering, I would highly recommend a water ballasted boat, dropping all the ballast weight before hitting the road is a huge benefit.

Yes, there are many so called trailerable fixed keel sailboats, but really, how easy is it to trailer them?

So, if you decide on a water ballast boat, here is a few choices; Macgregor 26D, S, X, M, Hunter made a few models, 240, 26, 260, Catalina, 250 and the new 25, Santana 2023 (FG over wood ballast tank)

Personally, I love the Hunter 26 and 260, but cost more, and about 1500lbs more on the trailer, still like em a lot though. The Catalina 250 is nice, but cost is much more.

[FONT=&quot]Really Macgregors are great for the price!
[/FONT]

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
How many tong extensions do you need to get that Oday down the ramp and floating? Or is that the one that you back in to the water until it touches the sun visor?
I remember the Macgregor D or S promotional video and the back tires of the tow vehicle just touch the water!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
How many tong extensions do you need to get that Oday down the ramp and floating? Or is that the one that you back in to the water until it touches the sun visor?
I remember the Macgregor D or S promotional video and the back tires of the tow vehicle just touch the water!
Normally with the waterline that high above the ground, you would lift it out of the trailer with a crane. But where there's a will, there's a way. In Austin the Beneteau dealer launches boats with a line to the trailer the the hitch end held up by a 3rd wheel. They let the trailer go down by itself some 75 feet. They know the ramp is that long. They are pros at it. Here they go with a Beneteau First 35. It draws 7.25 feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.