one part paint onto 2 part epoxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
hello everyone.i am trying to use up some old paint.i put 1 coat of 2 part interlux epoxy onto cockpit floor,im out of it.can i use 1 part interlux for my 2nd coat?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I know the feeling. The stuff is expensive. I would call Interlux before I took a chance on ruining a 2-part surface.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
What I understand is that you can use 1 part over 2 part but not vise versa. If you don't know what the original coat is, use 1 part. So for you, you're good.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I know the feeling. The stuff is expensive. I would call Interlux before I took a chance on ruining a 2-part surface.
I'd call also or check the tech sheets, but I have a feeling that they might say no just to protect their bu**s if it delaminates. I'm more familiar with car paints, but normally to get a good chemical bond between coats of primers to top coats and on to clear coats there are time windows or you might have bonding failures.

Did you just put the 2 part on? If so then I'd be inclined to say go with the 1 part if you are in the time window to top coat the 2 part. Still if there is a compatibility problem you would have a real mess.

Call and be safe,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
If you are within the recoat time of the 2 part epoxy, it will be fine. Any longer and as with any 2nd coat, lightly sand for improved adhesion and again it will be fine. The one part urethane has a very similar chemistry to the 2 part epoxy, it just utilizes moisture in the air to complete its curing. The 2 part cures faster as the 2nd component is much more reactive. In terms of putting a one component coating on a cured surface, that is what you are doing anyway if you paint a fiberglass boat. Even though it is polyester chemistry, the boat surface is cured (crosslinked). It just has to be cleaned of wax and mold release then roughened up so the urethane coating will remain adhered.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with Allan.. The two part epoxy gets as hard as woodpecker lips after a while .. So if you are within the re-coat time it is OK .. If not, rough it up to give the one-part some tooth to adhere to..

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
cool thanks
my time window will be up on using the 1 part,but i went looking around today and found 2 part epoxy white for 51 a gal.yea thats cheap,its a local store,blp mobile paint,their namebrand.im getting it at contractor price.

Status
Not open for further replies.