Companion Hatch Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Hi All
Can the sliding companion hatch cover be removed without removing the rails/slides on an O'Day 25? I just hate to disturb nonleaking caulking.
Thanks much, Geohan

Jun 19, 2011
Oday 22 Hudson, WI
Dunno bout the 25, but if its the same as the 22, all that holds it in there is being pinned between the rails, so its impossible for it to come out without one or both of the rails coming off first.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Thanks very much for what I was afraid you would say. (grin) Thank goodness it doesn't have to be removed just now and can be scheduled along with the other work.
Thanks again, Geohan

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hi All
Can the sliding companion hatch cover be removed without removing the rails/slides on an O'Day 25? I just hate to disturb nonleaking caulking.
Thanks much, Geohan
You'll only need to remove just one of those rabbet grooved Teak moldings. I removed my sliding hatch a few years ago. It wasn't that bad of a job. Be careful when removing the bungs so that the bung holes are nice and round for the new bung replacements.

I used to remove the bungs by cutting the head off a small wood screw and putting it into an egg beater type hand drill and carefully using it as a drill bit in the center of the bung.
The bung usually comes right up. I also use a miniature woodcraft chisel to remove the old bung if the egg beater drill method doesn't work.
I learned this method from a book entitled "Boat Carpentry" by Hervey Garrett Smith. It works most of the time.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.