Mast Hieght, Starwind 223

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have a friend on a long sailing trip, and he a 35-foot bridge coming up. Can't seem to find this with Google.

Slade

Nov 24, 2010
Starwind 223 "Respite" Redwing, Mn
I know I read on a Starwind site somewhere (maybe a brochure) that the clearance needed was 35 feet. Add an antenna, waves, and tides and I wouldn't chance anything less than 40 feet.

That's the number I use for my 223. I'll try to find the link.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
He doesn't have a measuring tape? The "P" (the mainsail hoist) is 25 feet. Plus, add measurement from boom to deck to waterline and add 6 inches for the masthead. Might be close... better check the tides. http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=95
Yeah, I thought a tape was rather obvious ...

... though the number of sailors that don't know the clearance their boat is alarming. I agree, trusting a spec sheet is foolish, since tall rigs and mods abound. One of the first things I have done with every boat I owned was haul a tape up the halyard, add allowances, and write the result in the front of the chart book. Probably should be engraved at the helm!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yeah, I thought a tape was rather obvious ...

... though the number of sailors that don't know the clearance their boat is alarming. ................ and write the result in the front of the chart book. Probably should be engraved at the helm!
Damn good idea! Even though I know it... There's always an element of doubt when I pass under the West Mission Bay bridge and look at the tide marker... "hmm, my boat's 36, or was it 38...Marker's at 42 and the tide's coming in.... shit.. can't remember for sure." heh, heh.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Starwind 223 is a trailerable boat. Ours is being kept out of state so I cannot help you with the measurements but let me tell you how we handle them low bridges. We have a quick release fitting on our headstay and with the help of a halyard we easily lower the mast back enough to clear low bridges. You may also gain added clearance by timing the pass to low tide and also by heeling the boat some. Beware of currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.