1977 Yamaha 25 MKII Amazing Sailing Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2009
1983 Hunter 25 Cherubini - 1975 Yamaha 25 MII 25 San Diego
I had an amazing 4hr maiden sailing voyage on my passage from Shelter Island San Diego over to Mission Bay yesterday.

It was a perfect day...highs in the mid 70's clear and a very nice wind. The boat sails like a dream!! I could not be more thrilled. I have never had a sailboat that would "point" better either! And...she is FAST too.

Saw a huge pod of Dolphins that continued to swim past the bow for 10 minutes or more as they joined 200yds off on a swim north with us.

Here is a photo with Pt. Loma in the background....

Attachments

Jun 20, 2009
Yamaha 25, 33, 37 San Diego
Joe:

Your post gave me such nostalgia of the experiences on the 25's I previously owned. These little ones are like a high performance car. So quick and nimble.

You are a fortunate man.

Best regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V

Jun 2, 2009
1983 Hunter 25 Cherubini - 1975 Yamaha 25 MII 25 San Diego
Joe:

Your post gave me such nostalgia of the experiences on the 25's I previously owned. These little ones are like a high performance car. So quick and nimble.

You are a fortunate man.

Best regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V

Yes, Ed...I am grateful to have found this boat. I have probably owned 15 sailboats over the years and this boat sails better than any I have had. I am slowly dialing her in and have only a few cosmetic issues to go.

I am also in the process of adding a wooden cockpit grate that I am having custom built by a woodworking friend of mine! I wanted to add just a bit of the "traditional" look to her modern lines.

I just love how well conceived the design is for a 35 year old boat...just amazing!

Thanks for the note!

May 8, 2010
AmericaSail 14-6 my driveway
The difference between stylish and trendy is the longevity of the design. The Yams are definitely the previous.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Sounds like a nice day! I've heard good things about the old yamahas, but have never had the chance to sail on one myself.... Definitly jelous of your weather right now....

p.s. your headsail looks... um... lets just say, it reminds me of some rappers I've seen on TV (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sagging, ironicly there is a nautical definition listed, but doesn't apply here)... Either the halyard isn't tight, or that extension cable at the tack to lift the sail up off the deck is too long...

Jun 20, 2009
Yes, Ed...I am grateful to have found this boat. I have probably owned 15 sailboats over the years and this boat sails better than any I have had. I am slowly dialing her in and have only a few cosmetic issues to go.

I am also in the process of adding a wooden cockpit grate that I am having custom built by a woodworking friend of mine! I wanted to add just a bit of the "traditional" look to her modern lines.

I just love how well conceived the design is for a 35 year old boat...just amazing!

Thanks for the note!
Hello Joe:

Glad to hear you share the love for these great designs as well as the way you are upgrading her.

We went out yesterday for a couple of hours and it was BLOWING. White caps forming when we came in. The wind was from the opposite direction as normal. I am a little crippled right now as we got hit Saturday night and think the beemer is totaled. Just mainly drove for a while but my left hand was too sore and handed the wheel to a more capable friend.

We hit 7.5 kn. with 1/3 the jib unfurled and full main. It was a lot of fun.

I will have to come by when you are ready to see yours.

Best regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37

May 9, 2006
Beneteau 373 Mystic, CT
Yamahas

so great to see your post.

I had a 1980 Yamaha 33 MK II, and got that same rush every spring when I'd first take her out.

Had her for 21 years and was always proud of her strength and performance. She outpointed anything out there and for only 10K, carried an amazing amount of sail right into the mid 20's.

Jun 20, 2009
so great to see your post.

I had a 1980 Yamaha 33 MK II, and got that same rush every spring when I'd first take her out.

Had her for 21 years and was always proud of her strength and performance. She outpointed anything out there and for only 10K, carried an amazing amount of sail right into the mid 20's.
Hello Bob:

You are not kidding. The Yamaha's I have owned all share the same high pointing characteristics. We regularly blow the doors off boats in the mid 40's with new sails, etc.

I too had a 33 from '95 through 2002 when I needed to make a new start after a divorce that wiped me out. The gentleman I sold it to had her until 2005-06 when he sold her to the present owners. The boat's name is still the same, Scheherazade. She is berthed in Long Beach or San Pedro I believe. I wish her a good owner and good care.

We are having lots of fun upgrading our Sarah V. My next big project is to get an autopilot. This summer we will complete the interior brightwork refinish, God willing.

Do you know what happened with your old 33?

Best regards,

Ed Serra
Sarah V
Yamaha 37

Status
Not open for further replies.