battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I am interested in the group's opinion on the backup starting battery solution using the set up described here:

http://www.hellroaring.com/simple.php

It looks like a simple, relatively low cost solution, but the backup battery is not dedicated to engine starting but is maintained basically as emergency backup. What do you all think?

I am heading into the sixth season of the origianl two 4 D factory set up and will probably be changing them out for AGMs and want to add a starting battery or a reliable backup.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I went through a similar thought process last year. However, I arrived at a different solution.
- AGM's typically run 1.5 to 2 times that of standard lead-acid (or more).
- My batteries were tired, but after 10 years, how could I complain?
- I am a coastal cruiser, with VERY occasional rough weather sailing anticipated.
- Anchoring out is usually 2-3 days at most, and even the tired batteries were holding their own (with a scosh more attention to levels)
- The current configuration was in place (switches, battery boxes, hold downs, wiring, etc.)
- Boat dollars are limited, and I prefer to spend it on SAILING improvements

The upshot was I could not justify a costly re-architecture of an essentially well performing system, albeit somewhat manual. I simply replaced my old batteries with lead-acid 4D's, and have applied my subsequent boat dollars to other things, like a (used) Asymmetrical spinnaker, new sock, and ATN tacker - $700. I figure a big chunk of that was paid for by NOT upgrading the batteries and controls.

I recognize your requirements may be different than mine, but maybe this will give you some food for thought.:)

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA USA

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am interested in the group's opinion on the backup starting battery solution using the set up described here:

http://www.hellroaring.com/simple.php

It looks like a simple, relatively low cost solution, but the backup battery is not dedicated to engine starting but is maintained basically as emergency backup. What do you all think?

I am heading into the sixth season of the origianl two 4 D factory set up and will probably be changing them out for AGMs and want to add a starting battery or a reliable backup.
You'll want an ACR relay or a Xantrex Echo Charger to keep the start/reserve battery topped up. Far better than a diode based isolator. An ACR can be bought for about $70.00 and an Echo for about $160.00. Four 6V golf car batts is a great replacement for the two 4D's. Search the 310 forum and you'll find a very in-depth discussion on this.

What are your reasons for wanting to make a move to AGM?

Status
Not open for further replies.