leeward pronunciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
wound a little tight?

It was a bit of sarcasm, tigerregis. It's happy hour, go make a drink!
Peace,
Agaliha

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Our english language is full of illogical spellings and pronunciations. A book is "read" outloud, not "red" outloud. Do you tell people you are going to "Connecticutt." Then they will really think you are an idiot. There are thousands of them. So should we revolt like Capt. Kermie and develop our own "fixes" to make life simpler? I'm with the other posters that think the lore of nautical terminology is one of the beauties and fascinations of the sea and boats. Some things are worth learning.

If we are going to revolt for something that really would make life simpler, why don't we throw away inches, feet, and yards and adopt the metric system. Then your MacGregor 26 would be a MacGregor 7.9 and all your navagational calculations would be infinitely easier! :dance:
Well it is going to get worse as technology advances, just look at texting shorthand these days and you'll discover a whole new slang language. I will probably (not prolly) use some of it myself but will never consider it 'lore' because it is just anoither slang method of shorthand communication. Your example of READ & read is a proper example of phonetical differences whereas many of the mariner expressions are sloppy mis-pronounced words. I don't hear navy personnel on modern warships speak like that, at least not in the movies. There is nothing beautiful or facinating about the inability to speak coherently, only an indication of being phonetically challenged (retarded) so to speak. There is proper english and there is improper slang english, which one you use depends on how you wish to be percieved. Nothing romantic about sounding like a 16th century uneducated sailor that cannot read or write. They could not even pronounce Boatswain and had to say foc'le because of their heavy accent, and to this day those mis-pronunciations are perpetrated because they were never corrected. Give us another few hundred years and hear how bad we sound.:dance:

Jun 8, 2004
Oh, I forgot to mention, most of the rest of the modern world has thrown away feet and inches and adopted the more universal metric system, just a few barbaric hold outs left to convert, and in time they will learn and fit in with the rest of the world. Some are just slower learners than others.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Now they tell me I gota learn to read to be a sailer? If I was gonna be correct and reasonable I'd have a powerboat.
Ray

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Er, Sam, your knowledge of English may be steeped in tradition but you're a little off on your grammar.:eek:

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
:redface: Thanks Cat! Good Ketch, I mean CATCH! Spelling is my weak point, here in the DESSERT.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
Learning and using the traditional pronunciations is part of the fun of it all! I love tradition and history...to walk in the footsteps of those before you.

Besides, using the incorrect pronunciation of words...pronouncing them as spelled....marks you as an incompetent by the older, more experienced folks. This isn't just in sailing...it happens in many aspects of life and activities, not to mention most of the English language!

Walk into a military base and ask to see the Colonel or the Sergeant....pronounce them as spelled and you'll be corrected, or laughed off the base.

Pronounce this as spelled:

I like Worcestershire on my two inch steak served on my yacht while drinking a daiquiri.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
Of course, this being said..I do agree with the OP to a point...meaning bad pronunciation stems from illiteracy.

Just looks at the stupid, failed attempt to legitimize illiterate ghetto language as "ebonics"....

Jun 8, 2004
Of course, this being said..I do agree with the OP to a point...meaning bad pronunciation stems from illiteracy.

Just looks at the stupid, failed attempt to legitimize illiterate ghetto language as "ebonics"....
"Now that's what am talkin about"
"You da man"

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Language is dynamic, constantly changing...

Language is dynamic, constantly changing. Modern English spelling was "standardized" in the 19th century. It still does not take into consideration all of the variations of regional and local dialects. The accepted "standard" is reflected in the present spellings of words.

Many words are pronounced very differently from how they are spelled. Leeward (ˈlēwərd) spelling was probably the way the educated ("upper class") pronounced the word. Leeward (ˈloōərd) was probably the way the working mariners may have spoken the term. Literacy was not universal in those days.

So, which is right? Both pronunciations are correct and accepted. It is more important to understand the meaning regardless how pronounced.

---

leeward |ˈlēwərd; ˈloōərd|
adjective & adverb
on or toward the side sheltered from the wind or toward which the wind is blowing; downwind : [as adj. ] the leeward side of the house | [as adv. ] we pitched our tents leeward of a hill. Contrasted with windward .

Aug 26, 2006
Hunter H380 Palafox Pier Pensacola
From our British roots

I thought the pronunciation was because when going to the "loo", it is best done to the "leeward" side.:naughty:

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
JohnnyMac said:
I thought the pronunciation was because when going to the "loo", it is best done to the "leeward" side.:naughty:
I'm right there with you Johnny. That's how i thought we got certain expressions about never doing certain things into the wind!

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
All industries have their own vocabulary and culture, and sailing is an old industry. I'm learning the culture and in fact don't mind the antiquated, and yes, uneducated terminology. Frankly, I'm surprised sailing is not flooded with three letter abbreviations like every other human endeavour seems to be these days. I like it.
Amen and amen! The industry I get paid to work in (computers) is all TLAs (three-letter acronyms) - it started with IBM, I think, and keeps getting worse.

I love the nautical themed books with the old jargon, like Patrick O'Brian (particularly when Stephen Maturin gets the terms wrong) and C.S. Forrester.

I've known loo-ard (leeward), gunnel (gunwale), focsle (forecastle), bosun (boatswain), stuns'l (studdingsail), t'garn (topgallant), cox'n (coxswain), and many more from years and years of reading. I even mentally pronounce the word lieutenant as lef-tenant if the character is British or loo-tenant if American.

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
Loo'ward comes from too much grog causing a slurred pronunciation of "leeward" !

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Loo'ward comes from too much grog causing a slurred pronunciation of "leeward" !
You boys obviously have a misconception about the English navy, where a man was flogged if he was caught drunk on duty. Their daily grog was an incentive...llike a smoke break. The rum was diluted when served out and lost its preservative properties.. this was so the men could not hoard it for getting drunk later. It sounds slurred to you because you're not English. Xenophobia and ignorance go hand and hand.

And don't even think about dispariging the English navy.... without them we would all be speaking French and the rest of the world would be run by pirates and slavetraders.

Status
Not open for further replies.