Whats your favorite sailing / boat movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2010
Anon Anon Anon
Mine is " The Mutiny on the Bounty " 1983 version starring Anthony Hopkins as Lt Bligh and Mel Gibson as Fletcher Christian. Hopkins performance is OUTSTANDING!!!

So, I went looking and found it on YOUTUBE. AWESOME!!!! I post this link for part 1 and just keep clicking away. It has 13 parts. What a movie! And the music is great too!

Whats your fav and can you add a link to the movie perhaps?
Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tab7gRAA2yQ&feature=recentlik

Dec 3, 2010
Oday 25 N/A
This may sound lame and not be on point but mine is Jaws. The movie was a classic when it came out and is still a great thriller for most adults. I am constantly telling my wife "we are going to need a bigger boat". The great thing about the movie is the sequel was very rich with day sailor scenes. Might not be what you were looking for but it cannot be overlooked as a good boating movie.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Captain Ron! "If anything's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there"

Tom

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Check the archives for more suggestions.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
In no specific order

Master and Commander
Capn Ron
White Squall
Captains Courageous
Old Man and the Sea
Horatio Hornblower

Captains Courageous and Horatio Hornblower got in there due to a similar thread where Joe suggested Captains Courageous. The race back to Mass in Captains Courageous was amazing.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
I hate Jaws: after my wife saw it she never set foot on the boat again. This from a lady that was in the ocean three weekends out of four when we lived in southern California. Sign me up for Captain Ron for solid fun entertainment.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Does "The Caine Mutiny" count? Never much cared for Van Johnson, but thought the rest of the cast was very good with this being Bogie's best performance.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I've never seen it mentioned on any of these lists but my favorite sailing movie is a British one entitled: "Captain Jack", with Bob Hoskins and Gemma Jones and some other great actors. A motor sailer is the star--I'd love to have this boat.

Oh, yes, there is a bit of anti-governmental regulations in this movie as well--should fit right at home with this group.

Feb 22, 2007
Beneteau 281 Annapolis, MD
Just saw "morning light" a few weeks ago.. Ive seen other people trashing it, but i thought it was really good.. Roy Disneys training of a group of young adults to do the transpac..

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
"Master and Commander, Far Side of the World" with "Perfect Storm" as 2nd best.

Tom

Sep 25, 2008
Lancer 28 T Great Lakes
Wind, Treasure Island, Perfect Storm, Old Man and the Sea.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
the official formosa owners training film--cpt ron.
pirates of caribean
overboard (goldie hawn)
perfect storm
waterworld--(comedy and laffter!!!)
some others--
NOT dead calmLOL--was a sucky movie.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Captain Ron, White Squall, Wind (just for the sailing scenes...the rest was rather boring), Joe Versus the Volcano!!! And my new favorite--- Pirate Radio!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have to say that Wind is a great one.
Master and Commander is AWESOME

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I really liked a movie named "the Weight of Water". It has 2 story lines set at the Isle of Shoals. The historical story line is fictional representation of an actual crime that was commited (there is real controversey here with claims of libel). It is a Sean Penn movie and I generally don't like Sean Penn movies, but this one is an exception for me. Sailing is featured but not exactly a key element of the movie, other than to set the scene.

Slade

Nov 24, 2010
Starwind 223 "Respite" Redwing, Mn
I agree with all the above mentioned..plus I have to add "Summer Rental" with John Candy. Not the most realistic, but fun to watch them learning to love sailing....

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I agree with all the above mentioned..plus I have to add "Summer Rental" with John Candy. Not the most realistic, but fun to watch them learning to love sailing....
Scully's catch of the day, Grouper lightly breaded cooked to a golden brown... Always liked when Scully sang the sea chanty his old mom taught him, "Love, exiting and new. Come aboard we're epecting you...." LOL Have known a lot of "A" holes like the character Richard Crenna played. Do these look real to you? Did you see the one when Papa Smurf beat the S**t out of the guy with his crutch? Fair winds and Full Sails...

Status
Not open for further replies.