Teflon grease, silicone grease can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Peggy,
In one of your recent post, you mentioned using teflon grease to lub the inside of the Jabsco rubber parts. Can I use silicone grease instead of teflon grease? :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You can...but I wouldn't

Teflon grease is recommended for submersible pumps, which means it'll last a LOT longer in your toilet pump than silicone grease. We're only talking about $3.95 tube of grease that you can also use to lube y-valves, manual bilge pumps, seacocks and just about anything else that stays wet...and will take years to use up even if you lube everything in sight with it.

Oct 29, 2005
Re: You can...but I wouldn't

Peggy, thanks and noted. Its not easy to find teflon grease here, but I'll try.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Sources

Swimming pool supply stores, bicycle shops, auto parts stores...and the internet.

I just noticed where you are...the 'net might be your best bet. Google "Super Lube"...it's the best...you only want the synthetic grease that comes in a tube. Amazon has it...so do several other sites. The 3 oz. size will last for years.

Oct 29, 2005
Peggy, thanks for this bit of info. Found a dealer for "Super Lube synthetic grease" in Singapore.

Ken

Aug 17, 2010
Hake Yachts Seaward Eagle 32 Port Henry
Try Ebay - That's where I found it after going through about 3 gallons of gas hitting every autoparts, hardware and Tractor Supply. AAA Industrial Supply Inc. They even sell it in a 400 gram can. I figure that ought to be pretty near a lifetime supply. Cheers - Mark

Oct 2, 2007
- - Millville, NJ
Here's the parent company's website (Synco Chemical): http://www.super-lube.com/

It includes a list of authorized distributors. You'll want the grease, not the aerosol spray. The grease is about the consistency of toothpaste, and comes in tubes or cans, depending on the size you need.

Oct 29, 2005
Peggy, now that I've got the Super Lube, beside using it for the heads pump O-ring, can I use it for my sea water pump impeller ? Thought it might be good to lube that impeller so that its smoother and such ?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You might want to read my first reply again...

" We're only talking about $3.95 tube of grease that you can also use to lube y-valves, manual bilge pumps, seacocks and just about anything else that stays wet..."

COOL

Feb 16, 2009
Islander 30 mkII Downtown Long Beach
" We're only talking about $3.95 tube of grease that you can also use to lube y-valves, manual bilge pumps, seacocks and just about anything else that stays wet..."
Can this also be used to help seal the base plate
gasket on my Skipper II head?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nope...

It's a lubricant, not a sealant. You don't want any sealant on it, either!

If it's leaking you may need a new gasket...or if it is new, you've prob'ly overtightened the bolts, causing the gasket to pucker...which causes it to leak. I see this a lot when people replace the joker valve.

Tighten 'em just snug. If it leaks, tighten only a LITTLE more...and a LITTLE more if necessary...till it stops leaking.

Ken H.

Nov 13, 2009
C&C 37/40 XL Royal Cape Breton Yacht Club
A source for SuperLube is your local GM Dealer

Hi All. If you are having trouble finding SuperLube, I've recently learned General Motors Auto Dealer's Parts Departments stock 3 oz. tubes of SuperLube. It may be packaged as AC Delco synthetic lube:

Super Lube with PTFE, GM P/N 12371287
(in Canada, use P/N 10953437)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That's good information!

Thanks for posting it!

And a thought just occurred: it's only 3 oz, so you can put a tube in your carry on if you and your boat are a plane ride apart!

Status
Not open for further replies.