depth sounder for a V25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2009
Macgregor Venture 25 Seattle
I ave a 79 venture 25 and a garmin 140 fishfinder/depth sounder I plan on installing this weekend. I am planning on placing the depth sounder so that it shoots through the hull and I do not want to put a hole in the boat below the water line. I am wondering if any one has placed a depth sounder and where they chose to do it. Currently the winning location is in the V berth just ahead of the keel and slightly to the port. Thanks for any input

Carolyn

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
I placed mine under the v berth on the centerline, just forward of the fiberglass bulkhead. It was a transom/puck type sender. I bedded it in epoxy(modeling clay dam around it), but wouldn't suggest that in the event of failure. I understand wax ring seal works, can't verify that. You can also use a piece of PVC sealed to the hull and fill it with mineral oil(like that used in sump pump motors)It works perfectly there. I did switch indicators from a navman to an ST 50. (bigger numbers...easier to see)

John

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.....the winning location is in the V berth just ahead of the keel and slightly to the port. .....
That is about where ours is on our S. It was already there when we got the boat and is mounted in wax like John said. Since it is at a slight angle the depth is off some, but is plenty accurate for our needs.

It is starting to have some problems at times with speed and loosing the depth. I guess it is just getting old and tired like me. We plan on replacing it with a Cuda 350. They are about $200, but have GPS and come with some maps on them. It will act as a half way chart plotter. We now have the parts to put the 12v onboard computer together and it will be our 'real chart plotter'. The Cuda will output your GPS location and we will use that feature in conjunction with the DSC VHF radio. I won't be able to download waypoints to it for navigation, but if that is needed we will download those to one of the Garmin Map 76's we have. I think the Cuda 350 has a lot going for it for the price.

c ya and Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
I too have a V25 1979, and I have the same setup. I put mine in the v berth, I bedded it in clear silicon with a peice of dental floss about two feet long. I piled the silicon up and set the puck in it. THe floss was in case it didn;t work, I could pull it back and forth and cut it off. I didn't need it now that it is working. As for the display, I mounted it on a swivel arm in the companionway along with the GPS. I can see it from the tiller and if anyone goes below, they just swing it out of the way, and back when they come out.

Let me know (pics) how your install turns out.

Gregg in California.

Gregg

I ave a 79 venture 25 and a garmin 140 fishfinder/depth sounder I plan on installing this weekend. I am planning on placing the depth sounder so that it shoots through the hull and I do not want to put a hole in the boat below the water line. I am wondering if any one has placed a depth sounder and where they chose to do it. Currently the winning location is in the V berth just ahead of the keel and slightly to the port. Thanks for any input

Carolyn

Jun 22, 2009
Macgregor Venture 25 Seattle
thanks to all for the input. I will be sure to tell you all how it goes =). we have hada couple of times where the water has gotten a bit thin and I am hoping to avoid such excitement in the future

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Mine is mounted just stbd of the keel cable tube and aims almost straight down.

Unless you are going very very slow it won't save you unless it is a very slow taper.

Status
Not open for further replies.