How much bottom paint do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denile

Aug 19, 2009
2 25 Coyote Pt
Hello, I am getting ready to haul my Yamaha 25 out for the first time. I plan to clean and paint the bottom, full first coat and second coat to the water line.
How much paint do I need.
I am going to have the work done and I want to buy the paint myself. The yard quoted me $435 for labor & materials, I think I can do better than that.
Also, any thing I should look for when I have her out of the water?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
A gallon is more than enough. Hit any bare spots before you do the full coat. Besides hitting the water line a second time also do the leading edges of the keel and rudder. While out, check your through hulls, look for blisters, keel damage or deep scrapes that need repair. Give the deck and hull a good cleaning and waxing (avoid the non-skid).

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
As a rule of thumb, a gallon of bottom paint covers about 400 sq ft (depends on how it is applied, etc). The basic formula to figure how many sq ft you have is length of waterline x max beam x .85. So as you can see, a gallon will do it and you'll have plenty left over. I do about what you are planning on my H28.5, using a 1/4" roller, and use about 2/3s of gallon.

Depending on what bottom prep you are planning or in need of, you can certainly do this job yourself cheaper than the price your yard quoted you. But I'm not sure how you value your own labor and time....

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
You can go to the Interlux web site an enter your boat infrmation and they can tell you how much you need.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Let's see, I think I'll bring my eggs into the local cafe and have them fry them up for me and......well..... this actually requires a little more information. Like what kind of paint are you using? VC17 does not take as much paint as Interlux Bottom Kote. And, the manufacture recommends 2 coats of a single season paint like Bottom Kote, but then recommends 3 coats of say, Micron CSC, a multi season paint. So, the exact answer to your question is based on not only the area you are painting, but how many coats of what kind of paint.

Denile

Aug 19, 2009
2 25 Coyote Pt
Bill thanks for the input. I hear what you're saying, I'm not the kind of guy that brings his own eggs but I also want a good quality paint on my boat. They quoted $325 for materials, I'm waiting on a response to see what brand and if primer is included.
My boat is moored in the SF bay, do have any suggestions for paint that will work well for me.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
$325 for materials? That seems ridiculous for a basic bottom painting. You need a hook scraper, a roll of good (blue or purple) masking tape, a roller, a roller frame, a roller extension handle, paint (I use Pettit Hydrocoat, a water based ablative...$110/gallon), and a disposable brush. Perhaps they are including the cost of a tyvek bunny suit, gloves and a respirator. Or perhaps two of those if two people will be involved.

Denile

Aug 19, 2009
2 25 Coyote Pt
Yea $325 for the materials and $456 for the labor. I think I need to shop around. Anybody know of a place in the SF Bay Area that has good rates. or a yard they will haul it out and allow me to do the work myself?

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
LOOKS GREAT! Post you before pics as comparison! love the colors

Feb 27, 2010
Yamaha 25MK II Vladivostok, Russia
Thank you. I bought my boat this winter in Japan. As you can see on picture, previous owner did not care much about exterior, so I spend a lot of time on my backyard. Hope to have first sailing next week....

Attachments

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Sounds about right by my experience. I would suggest you Do It Yourself, if you have a yard that is friendly to it and feel that you are up to the task. You can spend your money on Higher quality materials and have the peace of mind in knowing exactly the condition your bottom is in! Initiate your friends and family as slave labor and you'll be done in no time.Expect charges to take the boat out / put the boat in and fees for each day your on the dry + materials. We spent one day sanding and prep, one day fairing/repairs (blisters on rudder) one day painting. I used Interlux Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.