forestay removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2007
- - Canyon Lake, Texas
I need to take down an existing obosolete and broken Hood continuous line roller furling system and replace it with a Hood Seaflex 1000 system (Catalina 25 tall rig). To do this I will have to temporarily disconnect the bottom forestay deck connection. The forestay is in good shape and does not need to be replaced at this time. What is the easiest way make the change without taking the mast down? Is it sufficient to support the mast with the jib halyard tied to the front handrail? Is it advisable to also loosen the front shrouds and backstay?

Thanks,

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
I need to take down an existing obosolete and broken Hood continuous line roller furling system and replace it with a Hood Seaflex 1000 system (Catalina 25 tall rig). To do this I will have to temporarily disconnect the bottom forestay deck connection. The forestay is in good shape and does not need to be replaced at this time. What is the easiest way make the change without taking the mast down? Is it sufficient to support the mast with the jib halyard tied to the front handrail? Is it advisable to also loosen the front shrouds and backstay?

Thanks,
A qualified yes to the halyard. I normally use a mooring cleat rather that the pulpit. If, after putting tension on the halyard the forestay is slack, loosey goosey slack, then you should have no problems.

If you cannot get the forestay to go slack, first ease the mainsheet to unload the topping lift, then try taking turns out of the standing backstay.

While you are doing this, make sure the jib or spinnaker halyard you are using to hold the mast up will not be in the way of installing the new furler.

If the C25 has forward and aft lowers (I don't remember) they will probably hold the mast up with no forestay at all, you just need the halyard to ease the tension enough so you can remove the pin to work on the furler and have enough slack to be able to re-pin after you have the new furler installed.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.