Hunter 33 (Year 2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My friend has a Hunter 33 with In-mast furling Mainsail and stock Jib (110%). Its not fast, infact its slow. He thought of changing to a larger headsail, may 120-130% genoa but don't know what the limit is. Will it touch the spreader or can it be trim for close-haul. I propose he look at getting a Mainsail with short vertical batten with Roach but he's concern about jamming. Question is has anyone with a H33 or similar gone through this and found a solution? Bigger Jib? What size? or Bigger Mains? Will the batten jam? :confused:

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ken, what are you comparing the boat to in terms of being fast or slow. Hull speed on these is 7.2 knots. I can do 6 - 6.5 knots in winds 15 - 20 knots. I don't race and am not usually out with ony other boats, so don't have anything to compare relative speed.

I was actaully just talking to the local UK Halsey loft last weekend about battens. You would need a new main sail with a larger roach and short vertical battens. I've seen this on the newer boats as an option from Hunter? I'm assuming they don't jam. He was telling me about a sail he was making with vertical battens and the new Tape Drive design they have.

Don't know about the jib and how it would perform on the fractional rig and with the oversized main on these boats.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33 Sold Erie PA
Re: Hunter 33 (Year 2007)
Ken I have a 2004 33 with furling main and there is a 2005 33 standard main that sails out of Erie with me. When the wind is above 10kts we are equal. Below 10kts he will walk away from me. At some point Hunter increased the section of the 33 furling mast to accommodate vertical battens. My mast will not accommodate vertical battens. Hunter should be able to tell your friend if his mast will accommodate vertical battens and how much sail area he will gain. I gave up over 80 ft2 compared to the standard main.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
More Info Needed

Yes we need more info needed in his comparing speed,I have a 36 hunter with inmast and pretty much happy with performance and I don't race.
I found out the first year with inmast that I needed to learn how to sail it with the inmast,light air is tuff some times but its all about working with the wind and learning to trimming the furling sail properly,sail trimming is not easy I am always still learning how to use everything like the travelar.
I know some guys do race their 356 and do very well and was told the 33 is faster than my 356/36.
I did change to a Flex O Fold three blade prop and very happy with it's performance,trying to change jib or adding Vertical batten will need new sails and be very costly and and maybe not big increase in speed worth the extra $$$$$$
How long has he owned the boat,when ever I go out sailing I am always changing things to see what works best.
I always here Hunter owners trying to addd a bigger jib.
Nick

Oct 29, 2005
My friend's H33 is always last round the can for our club races. I've H326 with roach Mains. He has 3 blade prop (stock), I've 3 blade Campbell Sailor prop. Maybe that plays a part. Whether in light or heavy wind, he'll never beat me even with his "professional" crews. My crew and I are not as good in racing as his. I'll ask him to check with Hunter to see if his mast section can take vertical batten and what size jib he can go with.

Sep 20, 2006
Ken, I believe they offered vertical battens in 2006 or I've seen it on a 2006 boat. I bought our boat for cruising and convenience, which is why I bought with the in-mast furling.

Oct 29, 2005
I suppose those mast that can take verticle batten has wider entry slot. Any idea how many inches it is?

Sep 20, 2006
Ken, my boat is a 2005 and buried in snow right now. I don't know for certain if I have a mast that is capable of using battens. You might want to contact Selden or Hunter to determine.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33 Sold Erie PA
Re: Hunter 33 (Year 2007)

Ken The sail chamber is much larger than on my 2004-33 and the slot was a little wider.

roan

Aug 20, 2005
Hunter 33 Montreal
I have a 2006 Hunter 33 (#327)with vertical battans. My boat is fairly quick against other boats when there is a bit of wind. In very light wind I get cleaned. I thought of larger fore sail because it seemed like the big genoas were killing me in light air but after talking to Hunter rep at Hunter rendezvous decided against it on his advice and moved the fore sail sheets to the outside track instead of inside track where I had them and it made a difference in sail shape. As for a wider slot in the main, I am not sure if there is a difference between furling mast with or without battans. I also put ticklers up both sails to ensure max efficiency and it really helped me with optimum sail trim. I thought about a new prop but realized that I would give up a lot going in and out of dock. I do leave prop in neutral when sailing. There can be a bit of vibration when I am sailing over 6 knots.

Oct 29, 2005
roan, I guess your vertical battens are short ones and not all the way from leech to foot. Your roach on Mains add about 10-15% more sail area ?

roan

Aug 20, 2005
Hunter 33 Montreal
Ken: I am not sure about the % it adds however they are the short ones. I believe mine was a prototype main that the dealer got for me as I asked if vertical battans were possible. This was just on the cusp when Hunter was coming out with verticals for the 33.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I have a 2006 Hunter 33 (#327)with vertical battans. My boat is fairly quick against other boats when there is a bit of wind. In very light wind I get cleaned. I thought of larger fore sail because it seemed like the big genoas were killing me in light air but after talking to Hunter rep at Hunter rendezvous decided against it on his advice and moved the fore sail sheets to the outside track instead of inside track where I had them and it made a difference in sail shape. As for a wider slot in the main, I am not sure if there is a difference between furling mast with or without battans. I also put ticklers up both sails to ensure max efficiency and it really helped me with optimum sail trim. I thought about a new prop but realized that I would give up a lot going in and out of dock. I do leave prop in neutral when sailing. There can be a bit of vibration when I am sailing over 6 knots.
Roan I have a 2009 H33 and was considering a bigger fore sail to increase speed in light winds. What exactly did the Hunter Rep tell you that shied you away from the bigger sail?

Oct 29, 2005
Guys, now I gonna eat my words. Some weekends back, I help clean barnacles off my friend's H33. He was carrying clunks of "rocks" under his keel and rudder. Well the following week in a club race, I got creamed 2 out of 3 races by HIM !! I didn't know the H33 could go that fast. And all this while I though H33 was a slow coach. Now no more being a nice guy helping him clean his hull and keel. :(

roan

Aug 20, 2005
Hunter 33 Montreal
H 33 sails

Roan I have a 2009 H33 and was considering a bigger fore sail to increase speed in light winds. What exactly did the Hunter Rep tell you that shied you away from the bigger sail?
Sorry for the delay in response. I have been sailing and also at a Regatta my son was competing in. As I said in an above post, he advised me to put the sheets on the outside tracks, not the inside ones ( where I had them on coach roof). My boat came with that option and apparently not all H33s do. I single hand a lot. Thus by putting the sheets in the outside track I go back to the winches aft of the Steering. Do not forget to set the cars according to wind conditions, it makes a difference. This is very convient for tacking also as I do not have to leave the wheel and go to the coach roof winches. The theory is that the outside track gives better sail shape in light winds. I forget the guys name from Hunter but he was the guy who tests a lot of the boats. What he said was that I would probably not get any benefit from a larger genoa and more hassles in light winds as I might have to go up on deck to lift the sail over on tacks and jibes. I remember that well from my last boat with a 170% genoa. I had the local Doyle loft spec out a 130% for me prior to meeting the Hunter rep. ( +/-$2200 USD). There is a Hunter 38 (2006) at our marina that put a 130% genoa on his boat and he is very fast. He also uses a custom full roach non furling main though so I cannot say which contributes to he speed.
As for the furling main with half battens, furling and unfurling is a bit of an art. Clearly the battens must go in completely vertically. It is better to furl in when the sail is not under load, in reality most times when I furl I am tacking under full load when the wind picks up + 15 knots. So sometimes I have to fight to unfurl the next time. That I do by climbing on the coach roof and manually play with the outhaul.
As I sail alone mostly, I like to go out with mostly full tanks of water and fuel. I need the weight as the boat gets tender over 12 knots, even after playing out the traveller.
One key for the furling main with battens is when the sail is deployed, check the tightness of the main halyard. If it slips a bit over time you will have troubles furling and unfurling. Also keep the boom as close to the traveller on the roll bar as possible and make sure your topping lift is not keeping the boom from being horizontal. If the boom has an upward angle to it you will have furling problems. Trust me I know.

I am in the fourth season sailing the boat on Lake Champlain NY and I like to push the boat. I have had some issues this year with the top of the main folding over when I furl. Then when it comes out it is pinched over at the head of the sail. It often needs a couple of tacks and a good wind to get the fold over pinch out of the mast. It is about 3 feet from the top of the sail and above any battens. I suspect that the leech of the sail might have stretched a bit over time and thus I might have to trim off a bit off season. ( I will seek advice from local sail loft).

As for speed, I have reached up to 7.5 knots SOG many times this year. I find I need a steady wind to balance the boat, gusts are havoc. I have also hit low 7+ SOG just flying the gennaker some times. I have the three balde prop which I leave in neutral as Hunter advises. I have a sock so I can handle the gennaker alone. It still gets me mad when bigger cruisers with large genoas pass me in very light winds though. Thus I have started using the gennaker as a genoa sail sometimes. I pull the foot line right down to the block on the anchor and it is almost like a large genoa in those conditions. That is for light conditions only as the boat quickly gets over powered if the wind picks up to 10 knots.

I hope this helps.

ROAN
s/v Adagio 7
H-33 # 327

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the thorough reply Roan. One question, do you keep your jib sheet lines on the outside tracks all the time? I am still trying to learn to sail this boat and it just seems everyone just walks away from me.....

roan

Aug 20, 2005
Hunter 33 Montreal
Thanks for the thorough reply Roan. One question, do you keep your jib sheet lines on the outside tracks all the time? I am still trying to learn to sail this boat and it just seems everyone just walks away from me.....
Yes I see no advantage switching to inside tracks even in a strong blow. The convenience of having the sheets at the helm instead of the coach roof outweighs any possible advantage of being inside.

Aug 5, 2006
Hunter 33 brisbane
larger headsail

Just a few points re the H33 (2004 #208)
1. There is no way you can fit a larger headsail with this rig. The standard sail when sheeted tight on the inside track is hard against the rigging.
Even "filling the gap" by trying to put a deck sweeper on doesn't work as the sheet has to exit between the inner and outer shrouds and you will find the exit point becomes too low to work.
2. In racing in winds over 10 knots there is absolutely no doubt that you can point higher using the inner track. We can get to 30 deg apparent.
3. The best performance increase in winds up to about 12 knots is to use the standard cruising shute. Rigged correctly you can use it at up to around 50 deg apparent.
4 We have the deep keel and a fully battened non furling laminated main and the boats best competitive performance is in the 15 to 20 knot wind range where we can get to 6.5 knots close hauled and 8 knots on a broad reach. Reaching is where you can really clean up.
5. The worst competitve performance is in light winds and against currents where the lack a large driving headsail put you behind the fleet.
6. Where I think Hunter went wrong with the H33 was in having the mast too far forward. If it was in a more conventional position say back around 600 mm then you could get a better size headsail on for the lighter conditions.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Nick,

You bring up a good point about mast placement. As I mentioned before I am still a novice with this boat and it is driving me crazy. I really am not trying to blow anyone out but it would be good just to keep up. One thing I have questioned is the vang placement on the boom. It seems to be way to far forward on the boom to be effective. What are your thoughts? I have found that 30 degrees apparent is the best and most effeccient sailing. I have not used the outer track but once. I had wondered about the sheets thru the stays. I saw no way to make a bigger foresail work. If anyone has any idea please let me know. How about a spinnacker? Did the rep mention that? Would that rig thru the stays OK? (H33 #579)

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Roan, One addtitional thing. I also have a three bladed prop but I have to keep it in gear (reverse) to keep it from vibrating. If I don't when I try to start the engine it backfires bad. You don't experience that? Could this be part of my performance problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.