MacHunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2006
Oday 222 Mt. Pleasant, SC
So, it's officially out now? Last I saw, it was just a sketch. I find it odd that it will take a larger motor than the Mac, but it's not as fast.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
The Edge

OK, I am admittedly a biased MacGregor 26M owner but I did my best to be objective and give the Edge a fair inspection. They had her on display at the Vancouver Int'l boat show last February so I went aboard and gave it a good look over. Forget the pictures, you really need to go aboard to get a real feel for it.
Yes it has the familiar Hunter layout and feel and it is somewhat roomier than a Mac in the salon area. The galley and head really apeal to the female side of the decision, but then again Hunter has been exploiting this angle for some time now. It was very aparent that most of the design focus was on the interior and creature comforts.:snooty:
So out to the cockpit I go to check out the rigging and cockpit. I had reservations about the rudder system, it seemed to be in the way and too complex, too much to break down over time but then it was inovative. I would expect more speed from a 70hp engine but it is a heavy boat and would require a class 4 tow vehicle to pull.:confused:
I looked around at the rigging set-up and immediately noticed a lack of a traveller, then scannned further to see that there were no genoa tracks on the combing, ok no genoa allowed. I looked forward to see how the jib was set-up and did not see a jib track either, but instead, a single stationary block through which the jib sheet was run, ok no sail trim controls anywhere that I could see and at this point I started scoping for them. :naughty: The sailing aspect of this boat left much to be desired, it seemed to be geared towards the powerboat owner who on occasion wants to pretend to be a sailor so they added a couple of sails to hoist to make the boat look like a sailboat but you could never trim it like a sailboat, you just hoist and go and hope for the best.:cry:
I realize it is a hybrid and so is the MacGregor and both suffer the compromises of trying to be two boats in one, but the Mac is still a native sailboat with a big engine and the Edge is a native power boat with sails.
The MacGregor is still the best bang for the buck bar none and is more versatile.:dance:

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I doubt it sails very well... much like its less expensive cousins, the Macgregors... IMHO, if you want a power boat, buy a powerboat, if you want a sailboat, buy a sailboat... This is neither...

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
It's not an "either - or situation..." It's also about being able to get it on a trailer and get off the water.

Year in and Out - I see photos of washed up boats on the Gulf coast - and think - "why weren't they pulled out - or moved away?" There is a lot of opportunity in this niche - especially when people figure out that Marinas are getting more expensive and harder to work with!!!!

I CAN see salingdog's point. But I can also see that there are huge numbers of people who shouldn't buy a sail or power boat and keep it on the water year 'round. It is nice for the rest of us if they can can pull it and take it home.

--jerry

(Disclaimer - I have one on the water and one on the trailer - there are real advantages to both...)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The bad economy hasn't affecte my Marina's rates at all. I suppose they might actually go up with a potential increase in abandoned boats to deal with.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Some inconsistencies

6 gallon fuel tank with a 75HP motor? Hmm, that'd get one or two ski runs out of it.

Didn't notice if the text mentioned that the bottom photo is a different boat than the rest of them.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Bob M, are you in Crystal Cove? I noticed he's advertising in craig's list. I know the rates in Marshfield's Green Harbor haven't gone down but availability is plentiful.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Say what you will, there are something like 25,000 Mac 26X/M's in the world, making it the most popular sailboat ever. I can understand a company wanting to hop on that bandwagon.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I like the idea of a Mac being able to gun it from offshore to beat an incoming storm. Not thrilled about the motoring characteristics of a Mac at low speed near the dock. This boat does not seem to be a very good compromise though. I doubt Mac customers are going to head over but it may be a way for Hunter to keep their base.

I will stick with a sailboat even though it is appealing to have a 70 horse to gun it.

Oct 22, 2008
Windows-based PCs are the most popular in the world, but that still doesn't make them a good idea or the best machine for the purpose. :) Popularity≠suitability for a given purpose. :)
Say what you will, there are something like 25,000 Mac 26X/M's in the world, making it the most popular sailboat ever. I can understand a company wanting to hop on that bandwagon.

Oct 10, 2006
Keep it on topic, Sailingdog. This is a Mac/Hunter debate, not a Mac/PC debate ;)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Windows-based PCs are the most popular in the world, but that still doesn't make them a good idea or the best machine for the purpose. :)
I've been using Macs since '84 so I feel the pain. However... just because a Mac is superior doesn't mean that Dell was wrong to build a bunch of PC's.

Point being: the Edge concept doesn't appeal to me personally, but to borrow (and mangle) a phrase, let those who buy decide.

The fact remains that more people want the Mac 26X/M than want all the recreational blue water capable sailboats ever built. It may not be the best tool for any particular job but it's what people want, and by a wide margin.

Ohhhh... I feel a philosophical thread hijack coming on! :eek:

Oct 22, 2008
I'd be curious as to how many of those 25,000+ sail the boat on a regular basis. I'm willing to bet that it is less than 50%. :)

I've been using Macs since '84 so I feel the pain. However... just because a Mac is superior doesn't mean that Dell was wrong to build a bunch of PC's.

Point being: the Edge concept doesn't appeal to me personally, but to borrow (and mangle) a phrase, let those who buy decide.

The fact remains that more people want the Mac 26X/M than want all the recreational blue water capable sailboats ever built. It may not be the best tool for any particular job but it's what people want, and by a wide margin.

Ohhhh... I feel a philosophical thread hijack coming on! :eek:

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
A mac 26 is what got me interested in buying a sailboat. But I wanted to cruise and I thought it was a little small for that.
Someone the other day called it an abomonation. That was funny.

Oct 10, 2006
I'd be curious as to how many of those 25,000+ sail the boat on a regular basis. I'm willing to bet that it is less than 50%. :)
I wonder how many people sail their real sailboats on a regular basis. Probably about 5% down here. It's really sad to walk some of the marinas. I think the few Macs down here are actually used more frequently than quite a few of the other sailboats. One has a 140 strapped to the back of it. Last I saw it they were members of the ocean racing club, but it was typically used as a starter boat. I'm not a huge fan of the Macs, but I'm not against the idea of them. My wife actually wanted one until she saw the pricetag. I don't think I've seen any of them being used as a powerboat. That I don't understand. If you aren't going to use it for one of it's intended purposes, then definitely get a real sailboat.

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
Does Mac or Hunter really care...

how many sail, or for that matter power, the boats regularly? Their object is to sell, and to some degree service, the boats they build. If market research proved that folks bought dayglo orange boats I bet they would certainly adjust their gelcoat formula :)

I'd be curious as to how many of those 25,000+ sail the boat on a regular basis. I'm willing to bet that it is less than 50%.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
You are wrong dog,
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
Bad dog!
You don't know what you are talking about because you cannot speak from experience, you don't own a MacGregor and likely never sailed on one and don't hang with the owners of one so you can't speak for one.

I wonder how many people sail their real sailboats on a regular basis. Probably about 5% down here. It's really sad to walk some of the marinas. I think the few Macs down here are actually used more frequently than quite a few of the other sailboats. One has a 140 strapped to the back of it. Last I saw it they were members of the ocean racing club, but it was typically used as a starter boat. I'm not a huge fan of the Macs, but I'm not against the idea of them. My wife actually wanted one until she saw the pricetag. I don't think I've seen any of them being used as a powerboat. That I don't understand. If you aren't going to use it for one of it's intended purposes, then definitely get a real sailboat.
Well said 48 dodge!
Although I moor in a very active marina there are still many boats that spend way too much time tied to the dock. There are several MacGregors too and they seem to be the most active group.
We have a club here called MYCBC, MacGregor Yacht Club of B.C. and every member is an active sailor, we hold several annual events and do several group cruises, all members use their boats extensively. I do not know any Mac owners who do not use their boats a lot. Because they are low maintenance the MacGregors spend more time sailing than being maintained, something I cannot say for some of those so called real sailboats.
As for not using it for a powerboat, ask yourself how many real sailboats use their engine while on extended cruises, the answer is most of them do, so do Macgregor owners, we use our engines in the same manner as real sailboats use theirs, it gets us to the next destination at the planned time when the wind is uncooperative. Nice part about it is we can do double the speed of a conventional sailboat when under power. What most of us rarely do is use WOT to zip around like a power boat, the only exception being when it is getting late in the day and the next marina is on first come first serve basis, then it is all fins up empty ballast and WOT to be the first in line. I have had to do it to get a visitor slip assignment.

Phil is spot on!

Oct 22, 2008
Actually, I do know several MacGregor owners, and have sailed on them several times. I'm basing my statements on my experience with the boats and their owners. The conditions on Buzzards Bay can be pretty rough, and the sailing characteristics of the latest MacGregors is such that they're not too happy out on it..

You are wrong dog,
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
Bad dog!
You don't know what you are talking about because you cannot speak from experience, you don't own a MacGregor and likely never sailed on one and don't hang with the owners of one so you can't speak for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.