From "STINK BOATING " to " BLOW BOATING "

Sep 29, 2008
Oday 222 Western Lake Erie
Well it is now three years with a nice 222 O'Day. Renewed my three year Ohio registration, will start the fourth season. My loved 23 ft Penn Yan Avenger was to be my retirement boat until the oil companieds decided they could control gasoline prices.. The $4.50 a gallon Marine gas was not in my plans and so I returned to my roots of sailing in my childhood. I do need to have a kicker ( 6 HP 4-stroke outboad came with my rig ) , as it is almost 1 mile to get out on Lake Erie to where I can set sails. The suprize was that I could not even use 4 gallons of fuel the whole first summer, and that is a couple of trips out to fish when there was not wind. Meeting new people and racing on Wednesdays is more fun than powerboating. Passing those gas docks and seeing the prices and thinking about the extra greenbacks in my wallet is not to shabby either. When retired you can think about so many frivolous things that you didn't have time for when you were working.. What prompted me to write this thread was I was watching ( gasbuddy.com ) and seeing gas prices jump from $1.74 to $1.95 Bam in one price jump. Then turning on the TV just after the house and senate passed the economic bill I noticed that the barrel of oil went down to $37.XX something. a $1.51 price drop So. seeing the barrel price lower but the gas prices rise 21 cents sure made it look like somebody goofed. But then I just remembered that it is February and spring and boating is just around the corner and the oil guys gotta get those prices back up again.. Hummmmm glad I don't need to participate in that circus anymore. I'm now putting my gas savings money ( I use to burn 30 to 50 gallons in the 'ol Penn Yan in just one trip ) towards an electric car..

ANYONE ELSE DOING THE SAME ? Sailboats are definitely safer and are made so much better that what we had back in the 50's. Glad I made the move, and highly recommend.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Chuck,
Welcome aboard the 'blow boating' fleet.
Power boats are ok for fishing but sailboats can be used for that too. But if there is wind ya' might as well go sailing!
Glad to hear that you made the switch.
I am just not sure why you put this thread in 'off-topic' as it certainly relates to sailing. You would probably get more replies if you put it in 'ask all sailors' forum.
Wednesday night races are fun.

Sep 29, 2008
Chuck,
Welcome aboard the 'blow boating' fleet.
Power boats are ok for fishing but sailboats can be used for that too. But if there is wind ya' might as well go sailing!
Glad to hear that you made the switch.
I am just not sure why you put this thread in 'off-topic' as it certainly relates to sailing. You would probably get more replies if you put it in 'ask all sailors' forum.
Wednesday night races are fun.
CalebD,

I guess I posted here because I come here a lot to read. Thinking that it wasn't just an O'Day thread, I hadn't thought of the other available forums. You are probably right about better replies though. I may move this... BTW I race with a retiree with a Tartan 27. He single hands it many Weds. Tartans are beautiful boats.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Chuck,
I see you followed my advice and have received a bit more attention with your post then it got in this forum. Many people use the 'New Posts' button that comes up first under the forums list. That combines all the new 'sailing' related posts from all the different boating forums so you can see if a topic is 'hot' so to speak. Other folks go straight to the 'off topic' sections. Some go to both boating and off topic stuff.
I like the Tartan 27' we have from 1967. Still has the original Atomic 4 gas engine. We got it for a low price but it still costs plenty per year to keep the old gal going. Does your friend with the T27 know about the Yahoo group that is set up for T27Owners?
How does the Oday 222 stack up to the Catalina 22? There are times I wish we had a trailer for our T27 so our winter costs would be less but then I'd need a new truck to pull it with.
Cheers.

Sep 29, 2008
CalebD

The T27 that I race with also has the Atomic 4, 4 cyl seems to purr like a kitten. His name is Tom Walters and his boat is an older one that he has done a lot of work on. Boat looks nice. I guess 27's like most boats have certain things that need up grading and he has done many. Don't know if he knows of the yahoo club or not.. ?? I'll ask when I see him next.

Attachments

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Thanks Chuck,
It is a pretty, old boat. Our A4 still purrs for the most part and is over 40 years old.
Older boats just need more stuff that needs to be replaced.
CalebD