Sailor in distress

May 20, 2004
Hunter 44 Toronto, Ontario
I received this email a couple of days ago and am posting it for all to see
[FONT=verdana,arial]
If you are receiving this email, it is because you or someone you know has added you to our mailing list.
You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Well, I wish we had better news, but we are stranded in Haiti. Our mission to deliver all the precious gifts from the Virgin Islands went very well... we completed everything on schedule, and then ran into a very strong gale on the way home that wreaked havoc on 'Sophisticated Lady'. We had already experienced a problem with our main engine cooling system about 24 hours out. After trying to start the engine we found there was no cooling water in the exhaust, and the exhaust was now pouring into the cabin of the boat. Further inspection revealed the sea-water pump had stopped pumping water, and the lack of cooling water to the wet exhaust system literally melted the muffler.

The force of the gale, and the erratic sea conditions below the Cape on the South side of Haiti were enough to spin the boat around and blow out both our sails. We were adrift at sea for about 15 hours getting slammed repeatedly by huge waves slapping the side of the boat with such force that several more things were broken and there wasn't anything we could do about it. Before Ian and I headed out on deck to try and fashion some repairs, I decided it would be prudent to put out a distress call and at least have somebody out there that knew of our situation and where we were. It took about 4 hours, but we finally raised someone in the USA on our ham radio and they patched us through to Herb of Southbound II, a radio call-in station operating back in our home port of Toronto, Canada.

Herb was great and immediately put us on a check-in schedule to keep track of our progress and condition. Coast guard was notified and they immediately requested all our details and inventory of our onboard safety and emergency gear. We let them know that while we were in clear and present danger, we did not regard it to be life-threatening at this time. They said as there were no ships in the area to render assistance, the only thing they could offer was a helicopter that could airlift everyone off the boat if we wanted to abandon ship. We weren't ready to give up on 'Sophisticated Lady' that easily so told them we were still trying to repair systems enough to get us back to shore. They requested Herb to notify them of any updates he would receive from us and then we got to work.

Ian and I strapped on our harnesses to go out on deck while Karen and Kira stood by in the cockpit to do any line handling we needed while trying to wrestle the remains of the mainsail back onto the boom. We surveyed the jib and decided we would try and bring out a small piece of it to help steady the boat. There was only about 6 feet of it we could bring out before a gaping hole in the sail was exposed. The wind was still blowing about 40knots, so that little piece of sail was just enough to get our bow pointed North towards land, instead of drifting West out to sea.

With the boat steadied out and semi-on course, now it was time to get back to figuring out our engine problem. Once we got back to the island, we knew we'd need some kind of power to make the cut around the West side of the island once it turned upwind since we no longer had a mainsail to sail with. The sea-water pump had definitely given up on us and all attempts to revive it were met the same result... no cooling water. We had just replaced the impellor with a new one before leaving Haiti, and everything appeared to be in perfect condition, but it simply wouldn't draw water. There must be a crack in the housing or something that is preventing it from creating suction to draw water. With that established, the next task would be to establish a new means of circulating water through the engine if we were to recover any form of propulsion at all.

After spending some time considering options from what I had onboard, I ended up borrowing one of the electric shower sump pumps and plumbing it into the engine with various pieces of hose that I keep onboard as spares. We bypassed the sea-water pump completely, and as soon as we turned on the electric pump water started flowing through the system. This was great news because it confirmed that nothing was plugged! With the cooling system functioning, now it was time to do something about the muffler. The heat had completely melted the flange that the exhaust hose was supposed to clamp on to, and there was a big hole melted in the side of it. We found that a soup can was almost exactly the right diameter for the inside of the exhaust hose, so we had soup for lunch and then cut both ends off the can to fashion our new mounting flange. We clamped it in, and then tried to seal it into the tank by wrapping a wet towel around it and cover it tightly with duct tape... amazing what you can do with duct tape! The same thing was done to plug the hole in the side, stuffed it with a wet towel and then wrapped the entire muffler with duct tape to hold it all together.

It definitely helped, but the tape simply couldn't hold a seal against the pressure of the exhaust so we still had smoke coming in the cabin and water leaking into the bilge. By now we were almost at Ile La Vache, and in the shadow of the island so the winds were very calm... we were almost there and the wind completely died so now we were drifting right past the island in the current... It was time to try our 'MacGyver'd' engine! We switched on the pump, started the motor, and put Kira in charge of manning the bilge pumps to make sure the water was reliably being pumped back out of the boat. We put it into gear and managed to make about 3 knots as the engine would only run at idle speed. After 3 hours everything was going smoothly, but our eyes and noses were burning from the fumes, even with every window open!

The Coast Guard had notified the Port Morgan Hotel that we were in the area and very disabled and may need a tow. They sent a boat out to find us in the dark, and we followed them into the cut between the reefs and into the anchorage. We followed in under our own power, and we were safely anchored at exactly midnight on Christmas Eve... the exact time the hotel started a huge display of fireworks right over our heads... what a way to greet Christmas! We were all exhausted and just thrilled to have made it back in one piece... kind of! Within an hour, Kira had a great Christmas dinner on the table... how she managed that, we had no idea, but it was delicious and we were very appreciative!

Since then we have been busy trying to repair systems on the boat, but there are no support facilities here for any parts or service. A large group of people in Tortola have come together in our support to help us find our way home since they know we were here simply to help others in need, and now we have become in need. Several are trying to raise funds for us as new sails were not in our budget this year, on top of all the other repairs we have to make now as well. The locals have been helping as much as they can, which is a strange turn of events considering we came here to help them. A bunch of the guys took our sails ashore to work on them and see what they could do. They put up a valiant effort by hand-stitching in cloth patches over all the holes in the sails, now we look like a Haitian sloop! We really appreciated the time and effort they put forth, but after surveying the repairs and seeing how easily the new additions rip out, we are unfortunately still quite stranded.

We had such a great outpouring of support in the British Virgin Islands before we left, everyone in the local communities and the Rotary Club were all behind us to help make it happen. Even the Moorings charter base gave us fuel and provisions for the trip, that was a very nice gesture on their part! Parts & Power donated all the spare maintenance parts we'd need, in addition to filters, oil, coolant, etc... and even the local legal community raised funds to help cover other expenses we'd encounter along the way. The owner of Parts & Power has since managed to put together all the parts we need to repair the engine, but currently we have still not found a way to get them safely here. Remember that the reason we are here is because all too often things disappear in Haiti before reaching their intended recipients, that is why we had to deliver the Christmas gifts personally.

There is a huge story here to be written about our experiences during this mission... the people, the place, the unbelievable contrasts that exist here... and that will follow in another update, but for now we must concentrate on getting 'Sophisticated Lady' fit for sea again so we can make our way home as soon as possible. Until that happens, we remain stranded in Haiti.

I've been posting on a forum some details and pictures of everything... been getting some great tips while trying to fix things onboard. If anyone else has any ideas, they are always welcome. The forums have been broken into sections due to the number of responses, and there are several pages to link through on each, but here are links to the last two forums:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
We have very limited internet access here through the hotel we are anchored in front of, but try and check in for emails at least once day. We should be on again tomorrow, so until then we wish everyone the best of New Years.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Best Regards,
Rick Moore
Captain, 'Sophisticated Lady'
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial] [/FONT]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Sailor in distress - I received this email a couple of days ago and am posting it for all to se

Have you made any effort to corroborate this story? I don't know why they might send such to their entire mailing list except to passively solicit money or other material help .

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Re: Sailor in distress - I received this email a couple of days ago and am posting it for all to se

I checked the links to the Travel Talk forums and read their entire thread(s). It does not sound like a hoax to me. The Captain is a charter boat operator out of Tortola, BVI and is still in Haiti - if the forum content is not some elaborate scam. It is kind of an interesting story though. Many folks on the Travel Talk forum have given him money (or so it would seem).
The boat is a 50' Jenneau that is just out of charter from one of the large charter companies and they do not sound like they have a lot of boat bucks - not that money alone would help them in Haiti. The boat is their livelihood and they need to get it some 600 nm upwind back to Tortola in order to get back to work.
I wish them luck but can't afford to help them out financially.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx

Yes, seems like a scam to me. That boat is fairly new. I don't see all that happening to them. And I surely don't see somebody owning that boat not having 2-3gs in their pocket.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx

and if they are sailing across oceans and can't afford major repairs, then shame on them! Should have used UPS instead.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas

That is preposterous. Isn't that like a $250,000 boat? Take a mortgage on it.
They only have one set of sails on a boat like that? Why don't they ask for a sail to be mailed to them? Tell them to sell some art work.
....had to deliver it personally...rediculous!
No sewing machines in Hati? Besides if you have the time hand stitching works just as well, what about sail repair tape?

May 20, 2004
I am the original poster of the email.

I have friends in common with Rick, have seen the boat on many occassions and have regularly received emails from him ever since he went into the charter business.

Rick purchased the boat 5 or more years ago as a second hand boat. He sailed it in Georgian Bay up here in Ontario.

I took another look at his email. I do not see anywhere in his post where he asks for funds.

It would be easy to contact some of the marine suppliers named in the travel talk threads.

Anyway, if I had any reason to doubt his story, I would not have posted it here.

I posted it because we can all learn something and the story is unfolding in real time.

The time to criticize Rick's seaman ship, his boat etc. is after he is safely back in Tortolla. I feel bad for Rick and his charter guests whose holiday is about to be very adversely affected.

I wish Rick and his crew all of the best.

Jun 3, 2004
Beneteau 285 Chester ,Nova Scotia

Sounds real to me , and I don't see where he is actually looking for cash donations? Hope he gets back to Tortolla ok soon , let us know . Rae.

C

CaptainRick

Sounds real to me , and I don't see where he is actually looking for cash donations? Hope he gets back to Tortolla ok soon , let us know . Rae.
Hi Guys, saw this thread after Warren forwarded me the link. I am the captain of 'Sophisticated Lady', and the one who wrote the log that he posted here. For the record, I've been writing those logs for over 4 years, and this particular log was not written to solicit help, it was just written to notify my mailing list that we had encountered trouble on our humanitarian mission to Haiti. I've been posting on TravelTalk for about a year now, and anything there was never written asking for help... people simply know me there and when we ran into trouble, they offered help all on their own.

I can certainly understand how you feel about how someone could possibly get into a situation like this, all I can say is that is a situation that evolved over time. I am an independent in the charter business and have been doing crewed charters in the BVI's for 4 seasons. Last year after losing my partner, things started to slide very quickly in my business... when the economic downturn started kicking in, things slid even faster. I have been very close to losing my boat to the bank ever since, managing to get just enough charters to keep it going one month to the next.

The only reason we were able to make this delivery in the first place is because we didn't have a Christmas charter so figured we might as well put our time to good use and help some other people in need. Everything went fine until we got hit on the return trip. I have over 35,000 miles logged on 'Sophisticated Lady' in the past 4 years alone, with much of it offshore and doing training cruises for the Atlantic Cruising Rally Association. I've sailed through much worse than the conditions we experienced South of Haiti, and the forecast was clear with nothing more than the usual 20-25 knots predicted. What we encountered were conditions that were greatly varied from the local effects of the Southern Cape of Haiti and the winds coming down from Dominican Republic. Our autopilot was down, and the crew on the helm couldn't hold it when a gust came around the side of the boat... it spun us around and parted the second reef line in the main, which then slammed up against the rigging and broke the battens and stretched the sail out everywhere above the 2nd reef.

I could go on and on, but this was never meant to be anything more than one of our blog updates. Many of my readers just wanted to help out, so they did. No malice intended. Take care everyone.

Regards,
Rick Moore

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
Thanks Captain

I, for one, enjoyed the log and your post.

I was fascinated by your jury-rig fix of the muffler, etc. and think you did a great job of keeping it together when many others would have hit the "easy button".

Keep up the good work and best of luck to you and your crew.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod

Captain Rick,

Sorry for your misfortunes. The economy has affected lots of people, my wife and I included, we enjoy chartering in the caribbean, but since we seldom have more than a few days off, we've compromised by renting a laser or hobie cat for a few hours. How much to charter the lady for one day? If possible, leave an e-mail.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

Rick, thanks for the update.
Best of luck in getting your boat sorted out and back "in business"

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

Warren, where are you located on Georgian Bay. we're in BayMoorings, Penetang.

May 20, 2004
Hi Scott,

We left Georgian Bay back in May 2006.

We are now in Toronto.

When we were on Georgian Bay, we sailed a Hunter 460 out of Bay Port.

A couple of weeks after the boat arrived in Toronto, it was hit by lightning. Hence I changed my name to lightning 460

We currently sail a Hunter 44 out of NYC

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

Rick, Thank you for the clarification concerning the post. From your explanation I get the feeling that you are over worked and haven't been able to maintain a close watch on maintenance.

C

CaptainRick

Rick, Thank you for the clarification concerning the post. From your explanation I get the feeling that you are over worked and haven't been able to maintain a close watch on maintenance.
Hi Guys

Yes, I've been alone on 'Sophisticated Lady' for quite some time, so I keep her in pretty good shape, but I do sail her a lot... I just finished single-handing the entire Caribbean from BVI to South America and back in November. Was a great trip, and she has done really well by me.. I don't think I've ever been as impressed by a boat. She sails well, is great for charter, and handles offshore like a dream. I did the Caribbean to Canada run and return for 3 years running before deciding to keep her South this past summer and go to Grenada for the summer months to avoid hurricanes, instead of back to Canada. Made a short video of sailing between the islands here... www.WindInMySails.com/todayvideo

'Sophisticated Lady' used to reside at Bay Moorings before I bought her in Toronto from Angus Yachts. Chartering in Georgian Bay was great for the scenery, but not lucrative enough to justify the wear and tear on the boat to commute her every season.

As far as daysails... I think a couple cold beers would about look after that right now! We're still stuck in Haiti, but our parts have arrived on island finally and are just awaiting customs clearance. With any luck, we'll have them, and our new crew and mainsail onboard by Friday and can head out this weekend. Might have a friend who will be checking in with me via SSB while at sea to track our progress, and she might update our blog every day with position, etc.

Just posted some pictures in case anyone is interested, can find them at www.traveltalkonline.com and follow to BVI forum and look for Virgin Island Christmas present thread. Take care.

Cheers,
Rick Moore

Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
I'm on a tight budget too, so I'm learning to make sails and carrying everything I need to make repairs... Surely they didn't think things through it seems....(And thats giving them the benefit of the doubt of not trying to scam people...)