Engine Start

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
I noticed today that when I turn the key and hold it to start the engine, I no longer get a “clicking” sound. Also, the buzzer is not sounding. Any suggestion on what it may be? The engine still turns over.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The engine turns over, but does it run? If so for how long? Your oil pressure switch may have failed. Disconnect one lead from oil pressure switch and see if you hear the alarm. If so, replace the oil pressure switch.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
That " Clicking" is most likely a solenoid..Now which one? Since the engine starts it isn't the starter solenoid.. If the key switch has multiple functions i.e. starter/glowplug than it might be the glow plug initiator.

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
The engine is a Universal 25x and it does turn over and runs fine.
And yes, turning the key starts the glow plug process, and then I need to press the starter button.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
Do you mean M25 XP? There wasn't a 25X. If there is another letter after the P, like an A or AB, that does make a difference.
The M25 XP didn't have a fuel shut off circuit connected to the oil pressure switch. The succeeding models, XPA, etc did.
Turn you key to on but don't start the engine. Go into the engine compartment and find the fuel pump. It should be clicking. If it isn't then something is interrupting the power to the fuel pump and alarm buzzer. Maybe a corroded wire connection, broken wire, etc.
Open the panel and take a look. You apparently have power to the switch so look between the switch and alarm board/buzzer. It's possible someone may have installed a fuse somewhere behind the panel but there was none on my 93 Catalina 30 with M25 XP.

As @JoeWhite suggested, you can test the oil pressure switch but I'm pretty sure wiring the fuel pump to the oil pressure switch was after Westerbeke took over Universal. Westerbeke added the letters after the "XP" to indicate their version of the engine.

I think I read that the 310 can run with the fuel pump off if the fuel tank is full. Could be wrong.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I have the M25XPB in a 2001 C310, hull 160. I had similar issues that you are experiencing, it was a burned out fuel pump.
When you turn the key one position, there is no oil pressure (the pressure switch is closed) and the current will flow through the low resistance of the fuel pump to the buzzer. This indicates there is no oil pressure and you should turn the engine off. It is an odd circuit, but works. If the oil switch or fuel pump are faulty, the buzzer will not work. My fuel pump burned out, I could tell before testing it, my nose let me know.
As mentioned, this engine will run if the fuel in the tank is over half full, gravity fed.
You will need to turn the key 2 positions (the spring return position) and listen for the clicking of the pump. If there is no clicking, then as mentioned above, it could be a wiring issue or a faulty pump.
I purchased a new pump from a Kubota tractor dealer, much less $$$ than a marine supplier. I will look for a part # later in case you need one.
Good luck.