I find that I'm Punch Drunk. Can you help me?

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
I recently installed the MastGater Sail Track Guide and while I did get installed, I sure was not happy with my ability to accurately punch starter points for my drill bit. I started with the one side of the gate fitted and secured with masking tape wrapped around the gate and mast so that I could center punch a starting mark. In spite of taking my time and being extra careful, I found my punch and drilling far enough off that it added some frustrating hours to making it all work. That I'm not the only one who's had this happen on the same project is of no comfort and while I was able to get the MastGater to finally fit, how can I correctly center punch for my next project, the installation of the boom kicker slide on the bottom of the boom? Each time I have tried to measure and center punch anything on the mast to date, I have found myself just a little bit off the mark and as you know, there is no room for this type of self inflicted mistake when dealing with aluminum spars and accessory mounting. Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

George

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
When marking holes that must line up the tool you need are called transfer punches.
They come in metric and imperial diameters. Pick the size that most closely matches the hole in the fitting, give it a good rap with a hammer and it will mark a hole in the center of the fitting hole.
Works every time.
If only they would have used a transfer punch on the CD videos, I would have ordered the set a year ago. It's like a V8 moment except I've learned to skip the slap to the head part. Thank you for your advice, the new punch set will be delivered tomorrow.

George

Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Another helpful device is a self centering drill bit for starting pilot holes. You are not alone - I have found it virtually impossible to perfectly center the holes for anything that needs multiple screws.