Newbie question: First Boat - Am I in the right place?

Sep 28, 2024
Hunter 15 Thousand Island Lake
My first post. I'm not even sure if I am in the right place or forum, so I would be happy to take any direction.

As a kid, I sailed a little 1 sail dinghy around on a small lake and fell in love with it. I loved taking someone with me, or sailing myself for hours.
Now I just turned 63, am retired, and have access to some midsize lakes I would like to sail.

My hopes are;
- to sail it myself most of the time (day sailing)
- possibly do some light fishing once in a while.
- Be able to take my wife, or even another couple, would be great (but it would be infrequent, and 4 persons is not a REQUIREMENT)..
- Speed, or racing is NOT a goal - stability and simplicity IS.
- I would need to trailer it occasionally.
- I'm thinking a trolling motor would be nice for docking, going through channels between lakes, and no wind situations.

Can anyone give me any advice on a boat?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You'll get lots of advice on this issue, perhaps too much advice. :eek:

My vote is for the Flying Scot. It is stable, sails well, is simple to rig and sail. Excluding a spinnaker there are only 3 sail controls, a main sheet, jib sheet, and a vang. The cockpit is roomy, 4 adults can easily sit in it with room to spare. It shouldn't be hard to find one is pretty good shape at just about any price range from a couple of thousand to twenty thousand or more. They are still in production and the builder provides good support and access to parts and spares.

A Scot is not a flat out racer, it is family day sailer that can be raced and in the right conditions can get up on a plane. There is an active class association which is a good source for used boats and gear and advice on the care and feeding of a Flying Scot.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A Montgomery 15 would be a good boat for you.
First sail 2.jpeg

This was mine. I built the colored sail as a special treat. You would find a small jib on most boats.
Easy to sail solo. You see the 3hp outboard on the stern. The cockpit is easy to fish from. I can sail to a beach. Both the rudder and center board pop up. Draws about 18" of water. Lab siding helps to keep the cockpit dry.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Finding a boat that's nearby is usually a good idea. What kinds of boats are there in your area? Something with a cuddy cabin where you can sneak a portable head might be useful.

Sep 28, 2024
My vote is for the Flying Scot.
The Flying Scot is one that has been mentioned - I even know someone with one for sale (but I haven't got the details yet).

Ive also had a 420, a flying Dutchman, a Wayfarer, and a Sunfish recommended..

Sep 28, 2024
A Montgomery 15 would be a good boat for you.
THAT is a nice looking boat! I hadn't even considered a cabin, but it could be useful!
The cockpit looks nearly as big as the others, which is a surprise. It's only 15'?
What are the pitfalls of having a cabin?

Sep 28, 2024
Finding a boat that's nearby is usually a good idea. What kinds of boats are there in your area? Something with a cuddy cabin where you can sneak a portable head might be useful.
Good point.
I am just getting started looking, and being a neophyte, I'm not even sure what I should be looking for (or avoiding). A slight complication is I am looking for a boat to use in a Lake in the U.P. of Michigan (in a house I will spend summers in, in the future). I do have lakes nearby my current home in Arkansas I could sail in, in the meantime. Do different regions of the country have more or less of one sort of boat?

Sep 28, 2024
The lake I am on, is on a chain, you have to go under a pretty low bridge to access 2/3 of the other lakes. I assume it's a pretty big project to drop the mast if one needs to do so.. (One of the reasons I'm interested in a motor). How long does it take to temporarily drop the mast, and then raise it again - is that even a feasible plan?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With a trailer boat like the Mongomery, I solo sailed her on many of the lakes, rivers, and bays of the PacificNW.

Upon arriving at the water, it took 30-45 minutes to prep the boat and raise the mast to splash her. While I could do it alone, if there was an interested bystander, I let them help me by having them pull the mast forward using the halyard while I stood in the cockpit, manually raising the mast. One of the tricks is to use a mast step that hinges the mast base to the deck.

On a lake, if sailing was not on the agenda, you could splash the boat and motor about. This boat had no center pole inside, so the V-Berth in the bow was available for two, like being in a small tent. You can sit inside. Standing up was not an option. With the boom, I raised it up and then threw a tarp over it. I had an easy-to-use boom tent, providing a covered outdoor kitchen/lounge.

Sep 28, 2024
On a lake, if sailing was not on the agenda, you could splash the boat and motor about. This boat had no center pole inside, so the V-Berth in the bow was available for two, like being in a small tent. You can sit inside. Standing up was not an option. With the boom, I raised it up and then threw a tarp over it. I had an easy-to-use boom tent, providing a covered outdoor kitchen/lounge.
I hadn't even considered overnight camping, but that could open up a whole new world! We are "Van People", we have traveled every state and most of Canada over the last 10 years. Hauling this boat behind out van could open up a whole new world of exploration! I just watched a video on You Tube of a guy in the PNW coincidentally), camping for days in the boat - Now you have my wheels spinning! :)
Does it "motor" very well? As good as a rowboat?
"Splash the Boat"?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Welcome @ScottBHome
Some good suggestions above. I noticed you listed a Hunter 15 with your profile. Unfortunately that boat is not well suited for your stated use. For one thing, it’s a light weight unstable high-performance design that’s very load-weight sensitive, wet, and is better suited for a sport sailor who’s agile. (Years ago when I bought one they were marketing it as a family day-sailor, but after using it for one season I found it unsuitable for that. At the time my wife and I were in our late 30’s and our 2 young kids were ages 9 and 11). I found out that it would turn turtle if left on a mooring in thunderstorms. Sold that after 2 years.
For your intended use I suggest you look for a heavier boat that has a weighted keel (lifting centerboard for trailerability). For 4 adults bigger is better.
Edit: if you intend to keep it on the trailer, weight heavily how difficult or easy it would be to rig and de-rig for trailering. It can be quite a chore on a hot humid summer day, especially climbing up and down off the trailer when you’re coated in sweat and sunblock and already had too much sun.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Scott,
Welcome to SBO! You will get a variety of replies, so here is mine. There are several members on this site who own Catalina 22’s and they seem to love them. There were approximately 20,000 manufactured, so they are ubiquitous! Owners have modified & completely restored these boats, so there is a wealth of information. Catalina direct also has a good parts inventory if you need replacements. Used 22’s can be purchased at attractive prices. Good luck.in your search.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Unstepping the mast to get under a bridge underway is essentially a nonstarter unless the boat has been specifically designed for doing that. Very few boats are set up that way. You essentially need to launch on the side of the bridge you want to sail on.
The 420 and Sunfish, though perhaps easier to rig & de-rig than other boats, are going to be too small for taking friends out with you.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah, the 420 is a performance boat used extensively for youth sailing programs. Sometimes it's a bail n sail situation. They are too athletic for me at 68 years old. Same for the Sunfish.
Other good suggestions include the Flying Scot which excels in stability, the Marshall Cat, the Montgomery 15, the Cape Dory Typhoon, the Rhodes 19 (A sweet sailer especially with the keel) and many others. Buying a boat that is still in production has great advantages - in that spare parts will be available. Those include the FS, Catalina and Hunter (Not in production but many parts are available from this website).
I like a cuddy because there's a place to store stuff that will stay dry. The FS lacks in dry storage. You will need to carry everything in a dry bag.
Also a self draining cockpit is a big advantage in that the boat can be left in the water without sinking from a heavy rain. Otherwise you will want a cockpit cover for both in water and trailer storage. And you have to check it regularly.
Finally you need to know the local launch ramp conditions. Some are too shallow for keelboat. Some have a prevailing wind on the dock making leaving the dock different.

Sep 28, 2024
Welcome @ScottBHome
Some good suggestions above. I noticed you listed a Hunter 15 with your profile...
Thanks for the real world functional tips!
The Hunter 15 was entered because the forum insisted I enter a model in order to join the group, I actually don't own a boat yet, but that was one I was looking at.
How does one tell (before doing it) which boats are easier to rig and de-rig. I AM very interested in a simpler system if it is possible. I do "think" I might be trailering it often, at least for awhile..

Sep 28, 2024
...There were approximately 20,000 manufactured, so they are ubiquitous! Owners have modified & completely restored these boats, so there is a wealth of information. Catalina direct also has a good parts inventory if you need replacements. Used 22’s can be purchased at attractive prices. Good luck.in your search.
Thanks! More very valuable info. I own a popular, well supported Winnebago RV, and have heard of many OTHER owners of other rigs that have troubles locating parts, service, and support. I see both the Montgomery (and several others actually) are out of production. Is this common in the Sailboat industry?

Sep 28, 2024
Unstepping the mast to get under a bridge underway is essentially a nonstarter unless the boat has been specifically designed for doing that. Very few boats are set up that way. You essentially need to launch on the side of the bridge you want to sail on.
The 420 and Sunfish, though perhaps easier to rig & de-rig than other boats, are going to be too small for taking friends out with you.
Yes, thanks - the Sunfish has for sure been eliminated.
If the Sail was down, would it not be possible to motor past the bridge, and THEN rig it - sail for the day, and reverse the process, de-rig, motor home, and dock the boat?

Sep 28, 2024
Yeah, the 420 is a performance boat used extensively for youth sailing programs. Sometimes it's a bail n sail situation. They are too athletic for me at 68 years old. Same for the Sunfish.
Other good suggestions include the Flying Scot which excels in stability, the Marshall Cat, the Montgomery 15, the Cape Dory Typhoon, the Rhodes 19 (A sweet sailer especially with the keel) and many others. Buying a boat that is still in production has great advantages - in that spare parts will be available. Those include the FS, Catalina and Hunter (Not in production but many parts are available from this website).
I like a cuddy because there's a place to store stuff that will stay dry. The FS lacks in dry storage. You will need to carry everything in a dry bag.
Also a self draining cockpit is a big advantage in that the boat can be left in the water without sinking from a heavy rain. Otherwise you will want a cockpit cover for both in water and trailer storage. And you have to check it regularly.
Finally you need to know the local launch ramp conditions. Some are too shallow for keelboat. Some have a prevailing wind on the dock making leaving the dock different.
OK, good - the 420 and Sunfish are out.
I will definitely look at these other suggestions; I really appreciate it, as I am stumbling around.
I agree with the cuddy thing, if for no other reason than to get a cooler and fishing supplies out from underfoot. I'm leaning in that direction.