Question about Eye protection when refueling

Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
I recent realized how Important eye protection can be when refueling, so I have started to wear safety googles. I have a gas powered outboard. But are gas fumes getting “trapped” in the safety googles an issue? Sometimes my eyes felt dry after refilling when wearing the googles and I recently thought it could be the fumes , …. but I do have dry eye.

What safety googles should be used with gas?

Attached is a picture of the googles I’m using now, they are vented, I didn’t honestly realize you could pick between vented and non, I bought these awhile back for weeding. maybe I should try the non vented one

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
Why would you choose vented glasses if your intent is to block fumes?
Those were the ones had already, and I really wasn’t too familiar or didn’t think that deep into the difference between vented and non-vented until I started to think about this more. These were just safety goggles. I bought a while back for weeding

but yes, I’m sure the non-vented is what I need. Just looking to see other peoples safety precautions when refueling.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
A few weeks back, I opened a gas container at a gas station and the gas vapors sprayed out all over my face .
This was the very first time this had ever happened. It took several minutes to figure out why .
The container was almost empty and had been stored indoors . I took it out and put it in the back of my pickup . Black truck full sun .
I should have noticed th ebulging sides of the tank ,before I tried to unscrew the fill tube .
For normal filling , I really don't see the need for protective goggles .

• Wow
Sep 18, 2024
Catalina 25 Jamacia Bay
A few weeks back, I opened a gas container at a gas station and the gas vapors sprayed out all over my face .
This was the very first time this had ever happened. It took several minutes to figure out why .
The container was almost empty and had been stored indoors . I took it out and put it in the back of my pickup . Black truck full sun .
I should have noticed th ebulging sides of the tank ,before I tried to unscrew the fill tube .
For normal filling , I really don't see the need for protective goggles .
Wow I’m sorry that happened to you. So it wasn’t liquid gas that sprayed out? You felt “air” pressure in the fourm of gas vapor hit your face? Did you have any Ill effects to your eyes?