jabsco macerator paper gasket

Sep 21, 2024
c&c 27 mkiii Vancouver
last year I rebuilt my macerator with the housing kit including impeller, bolts and gaskets. when it started leaking a few days ago, I removed it to inspect. the long bolts were tight but the short ones were slightly loose but not so much that it was the obvious problem. the gaskets were pretty wet and worn. everything else seems fine so it looks like i just. need new gaskets and some good loctite. my question re the gaskets... the replacement kit gaskets seem pretty thin and papery. are there more robust ones available? can I use a gasket maker like permatex instead of or in addition to the standard paper gasket?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Yes. You can make your own gasket. Remove the screw rods and make sure they are not broken. If so replace them with stainless steel screw rods. That is what I did.

Sep 21, 2024
c&c 27 mkiii Vancouver
Yes. You can make your own gasket. Remove the screw rods and make sure they are not broken. If so replace them with stainless steel screw rods. That is what I did.
thx Joe. I replaced the bronze bolts last time. the ss bolts have held up well so far. when you say make your own gasket... is using one of the sealant gasket maker pastes good enough or are you suggesting cutting my own...? what about using jabsco replacement gaskets in addition to a gasket maker paste? I don't have any experience with gaskets / making etc. so pls excuse the follow up

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Ed, i was responding to your question if you could use permatex and the answer is yes. You can buy them from auto store, it comes in sheets or rolls. Get the same thickness as the original gasket. There is no science to it. Overlay the pump area and trace the shape of the gasket, cut it with scissors and razor. Keep the rest of the gasket for other uses. Do not use paste for gasket. Dampen your new gasket and assemble the parts, do not overtighten. You will do just fine. You can buy the manufacturer version, but save money and be proud of your work. We all learned this way.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2024
c&c 27 mkiii Vancouver
Ed, i was responding to your question if you could use permatex and the answer is yes. You can buy them from auto store, it comes in sheets or rolls. Get the same thickness as the original gasket. There is no science to it. Overlay the pump area and trace the shape of the gasket, cut it with scissors and razor. Keep the rest of the gasket for other uses. Do not use paste for gasket. Dampen your new gasket and assemble the parts, do not overtighten. You will do just fine. You can buy the manufacturer version, but save money and be proud of your work. We all learned this way.
hey Joe. thx again.. permatex comes in a tube... perhaps paste is the wrong word but it's not dry /paper gasket material. it's this stuff... RTV Gasket Makers - Permatex

but by the sounds of it you are recoemding cutting a gasket. thx for. your advice