Engine Compartment Blower

Jan 14, 2020
Hunter 36e Clearwater Beach
Can anybody tell me where the blower motor housing is located on my 2013 Hunter 36E? I've booked everywhere except under the aft cabin berth. Before I go ahead and tear apart all the bedding and mattresses, etc., I'd like to know for sure, if in fact it's there? Mine stopped working. Any insight would be great greatly appreciated.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
We have a 2005 H38 owner version, engine extraction fan is under berth in aft cabin. This is a Hunter shortcut because there is no way this fan is getting the hot air out of the engine compartment. It is just easier to install it there. It should pull the hot air out of the top of the engine compartment to be really effective.

Nov 28, 2016
Hunter 36 Northeast, MD
Blower unit is under the berth on our 36 as well. Intent of an engine room blower is only to control fuel vapor, not cool the space. They are actually a design hold-over from gas engines. Crucial there, not so much with diesels.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Intent of an engine room blower is only to control fuel vapor, not cool the space.
Completely incorrect.

Might I suggest you do a little reading to enlighten yourself ?

Diesel fuel on a sailboat does not produce explosive fumes the way that gasoline fumes will. The sole purpose of the exhaust fan on many late model sailboats is to cool the engine space and assist in cooling the alternator. Modern alternators are now working harder and heating up more due to being controlled by external alternator regulators.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
even with the belt manager set to 3 (about 70%).
You're a real slave driver at 70%.

My alternator is still the original Hitachi LR155 with a rated 55A output. With the original internal reg., it was good for a bulk charge of about 12 - 14A.

Now with a Balmar ARS-5 external regulator and the belt loading set at a max. of 9 (55% loading), the alternator is hot enough to light a doogie even though the installation of the fan reduced the engine compartment from 170° F to 120° F. It now puts out a few more amps when hot :

1727388295285.png