Back on the water again…..

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Well all, with rain showers and storms all around, on August 30th, Waffle House was finally launched and is now in her slip. Since it has been a long time since I have sailed, our first day on the water was simply too windy to hoist sails. None of the crew was particularly happy with this decision but safety comes first. Setting up to come into one’s slip at a dead stop is an art only appreciated by the helmsman. Waffle House has gone out for three sails since splash down. One blustery day with mainsail only, one fair day with Genoa and Mainsail and one ”perfect day’ with main. and 110% jib in two to three foot waves.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
A perfect day is a day out on the boat. Usually we sail, sometimes the wind doesn't cooperate and we motor around. Sometimes it's really warm out and we pop the bimini and pop-top and relax. Sometimes we swim. Sometimes we do all of them in the same day. It's a day out on the boat, and that's really what matters.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Your main is very high. Could you talk about this?
About that. When I bought the boat the main was furled on the boom and wrapped by the sail cover. The first time I had actual eyes on the main was when I launched and was ready to sail. Imagine my surprise when I found out that I had a boat with a slugged main sail and no mast gate in place. I found myself with no boom (bottom) stop either, so to get at least a sail or two under belt, I used a sail track stop to keep the boom above the sail gate. It was just a temporary measure. The Master Gater was filed to fit and the mast tapped for install before my next sail. Good eye, and good catch scouper!

George

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Should have used the sail track stop under lowest slug above gate and let boom supported by sail and tugged tight with a downhaul.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I use one under the bottom sail slug and a second to support the gooseneck when sail is not raised. to raise I hoist the sail, loosen and slide down the gooseneck support stop and use downhaul to tighten sail. No expensive and sometimes quirky mast gate to deal with.