Can it really be this straightforward?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I need to replace the topping lift and also replace the sheave on the top of my mast. When I sent somebody up to replace the anchor light, he took a picture of the sheave. Looks like maybe the same bolt goes all the way through the masthead and holds the sheave for both the topping lift and for the main halyard? Has anyone every done this. It looks like it may be doable with the mast up but don't want to pull a bolt and drop the main halyard sheave at the same time. Any perspectives from looking at the picture.

IMG_9479 (1).jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So, when the bolt is pulled, what happens to the halyard sheave and more importantly what happens to the halyard? Also, having 200+ lbs hanging on the sheave may make getting the bolt out difficult and even more difficult to reinsert it.

If you can find a marina with a man lift, so the person doing the job is not hanging on the halyard, then it probably can be done with the mast up.

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
All good points @dlochner - If you look closely at the picture it appears (I say appears) that the masthead immediately below the sheave for the topping lift is solid and the topping lift line comes up through a hole. The boom is now supported by a rigid vang so there is no pressure on that sheave. However, as you say, if the same bolt goes through both the main halyard and the topping lift sheave then it would be nearly impossible to remove the bolt with a person hanging from the main halyard as shown in the picture.

I don't have to have the topping lift with the new rigid vang and my mast height is 64 1/2 feet above the water so finding a man-lift high enough for that might be a challenge. I was just going to use the topping lift as a spare halyard.

Any additional perspectives are appreciated.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Only a guess...

You need a different type line for your topping lift.
Smaller size and non-fraying type.

Jim...

PS: I need to replace mine soon.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
It appears that this sheeve was added by a PO. The line has fallen off the sheeve and can not be used. If I was going to replace it, I would replace the main halyard with a 1/8" line to remove the load on the main halyard sheeve. Then remove the nut from the bolt and carefully push the bolt out with an other bolt of the same size and type. Then replace the sheeve when the bolt reaches on this side. This will reverse the orientation of the bolt making it easier to replace the sheeve later. Then install the nut. I suspect it uses nylon locking nut as overtighening would prevent the sheeve from turning.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Did your guy take a good close look at the main halyard sheeve? Considering the wear on the topping lift sheeve, especially if it was a later addition, it may be time to replace both sheeves.

It should be easy enough to make the bosun's chair fast at the top of the mast so you can transfer the load off the halyard while you work.
1726325517258.png

-Will

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Smokie.
Yes the topping sheave has lost it's shoulder. This is not an usual event for plastic sheaves.

Replacement is by removal of the bolt. It would be sweet if you could just pull the bolt. I do not think that will work. I believe you are correct about the bolt going through both the topping lift and the main halyard sheaves. I wonder what is the condition of the Main halyard sheave.

With the main halyard not usable as a lift you may need to rely on the jib halyard. Perhaps use a spinnaker halyard as back up . This would free the main halyard. The trick is to secure the main halyard sheave before you pull the bolt out so it does not fall down inside the mast. Taking the strain off the main halyard is a start. I have seen a rigger stick a piece of wood in under the sheave to keep it in place while you slide the bolt out. I would chase the bolt with a second to fill the sheave hole and keep the sheave in alignment.

Once secure you can go about removing the old topping lift sheave and replacing it.

Winter is coming to your part of the country. If it has been a few years since the mast was inspected, you might consider this a good time for such a project. Delrin is a good long lasting material for sheaves. I sourced my sheaves at Zephyrwerks, The Sheave Factory

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Hi Smokie.
Winter is coming to your part of the country. If it has been a few years since the mast was inspected, you might consider this a good time for such a project. Delrin is a good long lasting material for sheaves. I sourced my sheaves at Zephyrwerks, The Sheave Factory
I think this is your best option Dan. I am certain that the topping lift and main halyard sheave run on the same bolt. Looking at my pictures I think it would be very difficult to change without dropping the mast. I will try to post all of my pictures for your reference.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Replace topping lift sheave with a pulley and proper sized line on a swivel.