Big Boy Toys:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Not a C22 -- but it's nice to remind oneself that you can still run with the big(er) dogs :)

8 nights on a Moody 46 CC, San Juan Islands including Victoria, BC and two stops in the Gulf Islands.

IMG_6799.jpg IMG_6815.jpg IMG_6877.jpg IMG_6878.jpg IMG_6954.jpg IMG_6912.jpgIMG_6752_(1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not a C22 -- but it's nice to remind oneself that you can still run with the big(er) dogs :)
:yeah:

Maybe that would be a good thread to start, comparing sailing boats under 25' to boats over 40'. Is there a significant difference, or if you can handle a C22, you can sail an Oceanis 55.

Thanks for the pictures and video.

-Will

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Nice boat. Did you manage to return it before the owners got back in town? :biggrin:
Funny you should mention that. We chartered an evening cruise on a sailboat in Mexico last winter. Got to chatting with the crew and, I dunno, maybe it was a language thing, but it sure sounded like the owner had no idea her boat was being chartered out, or if she even knew these gentleman. When pressed, they assured us they were "taking care of it for her". True or not, we were giggling into our margaritas.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Is there a significant difference, or if you can handle a C22, you can sail an Oceanis 55.
Funny because we all learn on something small (ish) traditionally-- ASA for me was a Santana 22 -- the second I get certified I'm at the helm of a 510 in the BVI-- pretty much the same thing !

But seriously I've always said if you can do it manually on a small boat-- everything (with some practice) translates up to about 50'. I've had a 70' under helm momentarily that was definitely another category. You're not double handing at that point....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
After a certain size, it's about design. Our family 56 footer was specifically designed to single-hand. She was shallow (5') with a 3/4 keel, narrow (12'), and built with three masts to keep them small enough that one sailor could hoist them alone, sail across an ocean with all three set, or maintain balance with the foresail and mizzen, or just the main set. She also had a big engine in a full sized engine room. Well, the engine room was beneath the center cockpit, so you did have to crouch a bit.

-Will