Wheel to tiller

Jun 28, 2009
2 27 Bohemia River MD
I have a catalina 250. Would like to replace the wheel with a tiller. Can I just use the emergency tiller connection with a longer tiller?

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I think a tiller is better up to somewhere around 30 feet. So I agree with your concept.

But our tiller post comes up over the level of our cockpit seating. With some rise in the tiller shape, that means the tiller is over the knees of the helmsman/woman, and of others seated in the cockpit. Emergency tiller posts tend to end close to the cockpit deck - not very convenient for steering through a couple of hours or more. If your emergency tiller does not rise to your knee level, you will have to design a strong and reliable extension that will connect securely to the head of the emergency tiller. Certainly doable, but not an easy thing to design or fabricate, I guess.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The good news is that there are many, many people who think wheel steering on a small boat makes it look more expensive and they always enquire here about making the conversion.... that means you'll have absolutely no problem selling your wheel system to one of these people. Now, the not so good news. Installing a tiller sounds simple, if the tiller and rudder post are close to a workable position. Fabricating an extension to the post if need shouldn't be that bad, if you need more height. The traveler location is always an issue where tillers are involved, so you'll need to think that out. It would be nice to see a tiller equipped version of your boat. By far the biggest expense will be the piece of hardware that connects the tiller to the rudder post. On my 45 year old catalina that piece can be purchased for $500-600.:yikes: But, I'd guess you'll find a more reasonable alternative.. good luck.