Need concern over Iithium battery charging of device batteries?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I'll be charging a Li power pack to service a portable on-board device using a 100 watt solar panel every couple of days for two weeks. I'll have a special encapsulating Li battery fire extinguisher aboard as well. Need I think harder about this or not to worry?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are some ifs here.

Are the batteries LiFePO4 batteries or some other chemistry?
Is there a controller for solar panel so the battery is charged correctly?
Are the devices from well known and respected brands?

Overcharging or charging at too high a voltage can cause the battery to go into thermal runaway, that is different from the usual fires we see that are oxidizing. Improper charging, poor design and construction, and limited or no ability to dissipate heat contribute to the problem. Some chemistries are more prone than others.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The battery and solar charger are sold as a compatible set, where that compatibility includes the separate device to be charged. So, for the moment, I'm assuming that the charging is regulated. Of course, I'll confirm that before shoving off. It is LiFePO4.

Jan 11, 2014
The battery and solar charger are sold as a compatible set, where that compatibility includes the separate device to be charged. So, for the moment, I'm assuming that the charging is regulated. Of course, I'll confirm that before shoving off. It is LiFePO4.
Those are good signs.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'd say you are safe. The only thing I'd caution you on, be sure to not deplete the batteries below whatever that systems states. I did that with a different but similar system and then the thing would never recharge...

dj

Jan 11, 2014
I'd say you are safe. The only thing I'd caution you on, be sure to not deplete the batteries below whatever that systems states. I did that with a different but similar system and then the thing would never recharge...

dj
Also, LFP batteries do not like to be stored for long periods in a fully charged state.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I probably wouldn't leave it charging when I was away from the boat.

You of course don't have to answer this but is the portable device a CPAP machine?