Navigation Instruments Power Outage

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 MKIII TR Roosevelt Lake, AZ
It's monsoon season in the Arizona desert. We had a nasty storm with thunder, lightning and rain. I don't see evidence my boat was hit but my slip neighbor reported a strike nearby. I turn off the DC Perko switch and all the AC breakers except the charger when I leave the boat for the week.

I returned to find all of the AC systems work fine except my new-in-March TV would not power up. I'm making a warranty claim. None of the AC panel side "push to set" button breakers were popped. The marine stereo is wired separately, has power with a good fuse to it but would not turn on. It too is old and will be replaced.

The DC system is in an odd state. We have a standard Cat 30 electrical panel from 1996. None of the standard "push to reset" breakers on the DC panel side were popped. I wonder if they are just old - 1996 - and should have popped?

The Cabin Lights, NavCom and Running Lights are all on one circuit which was not popped. The cabin lights worked except five of ten LED bulbs were out (one each in the three fixtures with two bulbs inside). I replaced the bulbs and all worked fine. The Running Lights do not work; nor does the VHF radio. The ST 4000 Autohelm lights up with an error message stating "SeaTalk Error" and the heading is stuck at 155 degrees. The Raymarine ST60 wind instrument does not light up and the wind arrow does not move. The depth sounder lights up but is frozen as well.

The Deck Light, Steaming Light and Anchor Light are all on one circuit which was not popped. The lights do not work and I ran out of time for checking the systems and forgot to bring home my manuals.

Does anything stand out as a cause for these "partial" failures? Should I replace all of the "push to reset" breakers on the DC panel? Any ideas about the autohelm and wind instruments? I didn't have time to look for reset options. I'll have more details after next weekend. All ideas are welcomed until then including diagnostic recommendations.

This feels like chasing a short in an old car!

Thanks,
Tim Prouty

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When lightning strikes there are 2 issues, one is the high voltage electrical discharge that can burn through wires and blow out through hulls. The other is an electro magnetic field that is generated. This latter EMF does in electronics and there may be little evidence of a high voltage discharge like burn marks, scorching, or spider cracks in the hull.

If there was a strike nearby, to a neighboring boat or something onshore, the EMF impulse might have damaged your electronics.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This feels like chasing a short in an old car!
:laugh:
Perhaps because it is just like that. What stands out is there was a lightning strike in your vicinity. The power of that event went somewhere. The easiest paths available to reset the balance. It’s possible some of your gear is suffering from age? Certainly. Was the lighting strike the cause? Inconclusive.
Is there a short cut to resolving the situation? No. One needs to put in the work to identify what is not working, then decide on the best solution. Perhaps it’s replacing a couple of breakers. Maybe the system is fried and you’re in-for a rebuild.
I find it better to diagnose and fix what is needed rather than guess it’s trashed and rip it all out. :yikes:

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 MKIII TR Roosevelt Lake, AZ
Thanks Stu & Dave,
The affects of an EMP sound likely. I've been reviewing manuals online and Stu is right. I'll just go through the boat one thing at a time. Never had this happen in 35 years of sailing. I guess its just my turn. I'll report back as it unfolds. Maybe I'll end up with some early Christmas presents?
Tim

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks Stu & Dave,
The affects of an EMP sound likely. I've been reviewing manuals online and Stu is right. I'll just go through the boat one thing at a time. Never had this happen in 35 years of sailing. I guess its just my turn. I'll report back as it unfolds. Maybe I'll end up with some early Christmas presents?
Tim
You may want to check with your insurance company. It could be a claim which if, it doesn't cover the replacement cost might help defray it.