Hunter Rub Rail at the sugar scoop (swim deck)

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I was just told that the rub rail all hunter sailboats submerges at the sugar scoop (swim Deck) while underway.

Is this true?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Is this true?
For you and me it's true. Any reason for your concern ?

If you look on the interior of your hull, you will see that the stretch that of rub rail coincides with this portion is heavily covered in fiberglass to avoid the possibility of a leak between the flanges.

If I were you, I'd go back and smack the guy who told your that. Just for giving you sleepless nights.

Aug 19, 2021
No not for me. I am a day sailor and there is a good chance I am under loaded.

This was posted on a hunter owners page on Facebook and started my pondering. Since I do not trust anyone on Facebook. I thought I would seek out wisdom here

OP
A bit of a situation. Kind of a scary one. Just finished sailing across the Indian Ocean. On my 44DD. From Indonesia to Maritious. I have had a small leak for about 6 months. Filling the bilge every week or so. During the passage the issue got far worse filling every hour. I thought I had it sorted but was not what so thought. I checked every possible way sea water could find its way onboard. Could not sort it. As you can notice my boat sits low in the water. It’s actually high at the moment. Fuel and water empty plus dinghy is on the bow. About a year ago the stainless strip that accents over the rub rail started to detach. The screws started coming out. On both sides. I was told this was just astetic and not a problem. Turns out that is not the case. I am leaking from the seem into the stern locker. As I have been sitting in a 5 meter seas off the beam twisting the hull for weeks I am very lucky this went from a drip to a slow leek and not a giant crack! Sink the boat in the middle of the ocean. I know other people have had this issue on this thread. I am in a boat yard now. Up on the hard tomorrow. Looking for solutions with rub rail in the water? Seal the whole thing? Bottom paint the stern? Any suggestions? I am circumnavigating. Have a lot of gear. It is evenly dispersed. I have tried moving things around. The boat is just not intended to have this much weight. There is no not being low in the water.

Follow up
all of our vessels, no matter the model sink down with rub rails are underwater.
My 410 is out of the water.
As soon as I am under sail or motor, all of our displacement hulls sink down. And the faster you go, the farther down you sink 
Many of our models transoms are underwater, even empty, and at the slip
Many Beneteau’s including the 473 and 423 are underwater at rest.

I find it bizarre the global trotting sailors would overload the boat and seek solutions other than offload some stuff...

I have never seen my rub rail at the swim deck or sugar scoop in the water let alone under the water.

It is like Ron White says "you can not fix stupid"

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have never seen my rub rail at the swim deck or sugar scoop in the water let alone under the water.
Take a look when your under way and watch other Hunters as they go by.

A friend of mine has a 34 ft. Cat and it squats as well. Out of the water when not moving. Same maneuvers as my H-310.

Aug 19, 2021
Take a look when your under way and watch other Hunters as they go by.
A friend of mine has a 34 ft. Cat and it squats as well. Out of the water when not moving. Same maneuvers as my H-310.
I will have to pay more attention.

My 340 does. Never been an issue for me, but it is noticeable.
Well team, I think i learn something here today. That said, I still do not trust anything I read on Facebook.
Thx a million.