Buffing Outboard Motor Cover

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a couple of older Mercury outboards, black. The motor covers have become dull and chalky. Has anyone any experience polishing and buffing these?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1. Don't bother. That's the advice from seasoned cruisers. Why? Less chance of the motor being stolen.

2. Any auto shop will have plenty of options, to say nothing of Fleetwax which works great on just about everything on my boat - fiberglass, stainless...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Ha, ha, good advice, @Stu Jackson . But, it looks crummy, I'd like it to look nice. I even considered painting it to match the boat (Awlgrip flag blue).

I'll try just polishing it. I have two of them, so I can experiment with the one at home. I also replaced my missing Makita buffer and foam pad set recently. And, I have a complete selection of Chemical Guys products. We'll see....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Assuming you want to avoid taking the decals off... Polishing is impossible without damaging the decals, because polishing by definition, removes the oxidized top surface.

Take the decals and unpainted hardware off, repaint the motor, install new decals. Just like truely restoring a vehicle or anything else.

If you want it to look great and last long, there are no shortcuts. Of course you could smear it with wd40, oil, wax, or whatever, but thats a short term, half assed method like lipstick on a pig.
Unfortunately, because the oxidized top paint layer is still there, you just end up with a shiny discoloured surface.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
because the oxidized top paint layer is still there, you just end up with a shiny discoloured surface.
Well, I know how to polish off the oxidized top layer of paint, that's the point of polishing, after all.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these before I start.

Of course, if it's oxidized all the way through, paint is the solution. It's a shame the decals are so expensive! The set I've located is $45.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I wouldn't bother replacing the decals, would look fine without them.
Yes. I was even thinking of painting the cover to match my hull, and having a custom vinyl cutout made to match the boat name. :)

I think my boatyard has some open Awlgrip flag blue in stock, I could roll and tip it....

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
that's the point of polishing, after all.
Yes... that is what I said in the first paragraph my post.
Polishing that top layer would also damage the decal. Which was my point

Of course, if it's oxidized all the way through, paint is the solution.
It doesnt have to be oxidized all the way though for paint to be a faster and better solution.

just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these before I start.
I have done frame off restorations of trucks, cars, motorcycles, and a rebuilt a few outboards over the decades. I also managed a shop for 10 years. My hard won experience says save the hassle and repaint with spray paint. It ends up looking brand new. $45 for decals is normal and cheap IMO.

I think my boatyard has some open Awlgrip flag blue in stock, I could roll and tip it....
That may have the advantage of making it slightly less likely to be stolen, in addition to getting the look you want.

Awlgrip and custom decal will likely cost more than a spray can of automotive grade paint and a pre printed decal, but you get the custom look you want.

Simple adhesive lettering would be inexpensive. Having a shop make a custom vector file and print a couple labels wouldn't be.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
deleted
I'm interested in anything you may learn once you get started. I have a stinkpot with a 1995 Mercury two-smoke motor. The motor has seen very little sun over its lifetime, and yet it looks bad. Keeping it waxed seems to have actually made it worse.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'm interested in anything you may learn once you get started. I have a stinkpot with a 1995 Mercury two-smoke motor. The motor has seen very little sun over its lifetime, and yet it looks bad. Keeping it waxed seems to have actually made it worse.
Thanks Gene. I will certainly let you know. I have two motors, as I said, and I just pulled the backup's cover here at home, for a couple of reasons. One is that the motor I use regularly has a failing latch for the top cover. I haven't examined it close enough to know where it's failing, but I think it's corrosion of the piece on the cover. This spare one has a damaged decal due to someone dragging their outboard over it on the dinghy dock(!). It's in generally better shape than the other one, but I'll try washing, deep cleaning, and then polishing the top of it, the whole paint correction routine that one does while car detailing. I'll then probably finish with one of those newer ceramic coatings instead of wax. We'll see. I'll also try to do it without removing the decals, probably try masking the decals, and getting into the smaller areas by hand. If that fails, but the top surface comes out good, I'll just strip the decals and do the whole thing.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Simple adhesive lettering would be inexpensive. Having a shop make a custom vector file and print a couple labels wouldn't be.
My daughter has a vinyl cutting "plotter," and she even knows how to make multi-colored "stickers," 'though I only need white.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
My daughter has a vinyl cutting "plotter," and she even knows how to make multi-colored "stickers," 'though I only need white.
As a matter of fact, she can make stencils with this thing, in case I want to paint on the logos.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Keeping it waxed seems to have actually made it worse.
Wax buildup ? Try stripping it without damaging the decals ?

Unfortunately UV is nasty and waxing doesn't prevent damage over the long term. Especially in FL, vs the northwest.

There's a place in Florida that does nothing but repaint outboards. They even did a faux woodgrain. Hehe.

Fwiw, I just picked up a cowling cover for $10. Protects from UV, and as a bonus, keeps the water from leaking down around the fuel tank hole, for those motors that have that.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The cover on my Yamaha 115 outboard is beyond compounding; it needs to be repainted. The outboard paint shop in Miami has complete kits to repaint. Also have tutorials on refinishing. Will need an air compressor & spray gun to get professional results.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The cover on my Yamaha 115 outboard is beyond compounding; it needs to be repainted. The outboard paint shop in Miami has complete kits to repaint. Also have tutorials on refinishing. Will need an air compressor & spray gun to get professional results.
You know, I've seen truly amazing results with roll and tip. A guy in the yard this year did an Awlgrip roll and tip job on the topsides of a Nonsuch 30 and it was just amazing! And, he did it outside! Something like an outboard cover should be a piece of cake.