Cabin Material Question

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
What wood is typically used for the cabinets/benches, etc inside the cabin. I know various woods can be used on the interior but I want to match like for like since I'm replacing some of the wood.

Also - is the bilge tray or liner just plastic? I Have some cracking and pieces chipping off. Is the best way to repair this just with some epoxy?

I have a hunter 26.5 for reference

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The floor liner or bilge bottom is most likely fiberglass with gel coat surface. You could fill with epoxy or thickened epoxy, depending on how nice you want it to look and how deep or large the chips are. To have it nearly like new, you'd probably have to finish with a topping of gel coat, color matched as best as you can.

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Could you take a look at this photo. Bilge liner I'm mentioning is like this. Doesn't seem like fiberglass to me. It's like a plastic mold right?

20240330_151353.jpg

The floor liner or bilge bottom is most likely fiberglass with gel coat surface. You could fill with epoxy or thickened epoxy, depending on how nice you want it to look and how deep or large the chips are. To have it nearly like new, you'd probably have to finish with a topping of gel coat, color matched as best as you can.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
My H23 has a floor that looks like that (different shape of course) and it's gel coated fiberglass. Does the white color appear to be a rather thin layer on top of a sort of clear grey base, where you see larger chips? If so, it's almost certainly fiberglass with gel coat. The only boats from Hunter that I've heard use true plastic were some of the day sailers. Crazy Dave will know for sure.

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Ok thank you. I've hesitated pulling off any chips but I think I need to in order to see if fiberglass is is behind it. I have to remove the chipping off parts anyway to repair it

My H23 has a floor that looks like that (different shape of course) and it's gel coated fiberglass. Does the white color appear to be a rather thin layer on top of a sort of clear grey base, where you see larger chips? If so, it's almost certainly fiberglass with gel coat. The only boats from Hunter that I've heard use true plastic were some of the day sailers. Crazy Dave will know for sure.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The hull liner is fiberglass, it is part of the structure of the boat and helps to stiffen the hull and to keep the sides of the hull from collapsing towards the center. If there is a headliner, it too is fiberglass and it serves to look nice in the interior and to strengthen the deck and stiffen the boat.

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Ok thanks, this is good to know

The hull liner is fiberglass, it is part of the structure of the boat and helps to stiffen the hull and to keep the sides of the hull from collapsing towards the center. If there is a headliner, it too is fiberglass and it serves to look nice in the interior and to strengthen the deck and stiffen the boat.