Air and generator

Apr 6, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport
I have a Catalina 34 with new air conditioning ..what size generator and where can I put it to be less annoying

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Put which, the generator or the A/C, to be less annoying?
As Kappy said above, it’s hard for anyone here to suggest what size genset you need absent knowing what the power demand is.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You will obtain Catalina 34-specific answers regarding placement on your boat at our C34 forum, here:

Like here, registration is free. Lots of C34 skippers have AC and will be happy to share their experiences with you.

• Helpful

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I have a Catalina 34 with new air conditioning ..what size generator and where can I put it to be less annoying
I put a 3.5kW diesel genset on my previous 33’ monohull. I wouldn’t do it again. Instead, for about half the price (and space) I would put in a 3kVA inverter, a LiFePO4 battery of 300Ah+ (assuming 12V), a high output alternator (ARCO 225A), and an ARCO Zeus external regulator. If you keep the Lithium system separate from your current 12V (ie dedicated to just the inverter) you avoid some common issues.

Or you could use a Honda 2200. But they are annoying. I’m currently stuck using one as I progress with my Genset replacement and I hate running if anyone is within 300’ or so.