DIY Wooden Blocks

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
My 1975 Fuji 32 has seen some history. Despite that, there are a few parts that are suprisingly original, having survived nearly 50 years. Among these is a single wooden block used for the mizzen sheet. A couple of things contribute to its survival, but it is clear that the mizzen hasn't been used much over the years and this block sits right under the boom, shielded from the elements by the mizzen sail and cover. The sail, believe it or not, is the original sail and it is still in OK condition. Probably has a season or two left in it.

Anyway, I so love the wooden block that I want to restore all of the sheet blocks with wood. It seems that the boat was originally equipped this way. Even if not, that's the way I want it.

I know I can buy wooden blocks, but I'm pretty sure I can make my own without too much cursing. I've found several references online as well as suppliers of constituent parts (sheaves and such).

Anywone have any direct experience with this?

• Wow
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sailors Sketchbook

There is a really good, detailed section on this. The writer is a smart guy, well known in the industry (he illustrated for many mags and other writers), and his illustrations are very good. If you are a DIY and tinkerer, and like traditional boats, you NEED this book. It is one of my favorites.

• Helpful
Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
Sailors Sketchbook

There is a really good, detailed section on this. The writer is a smart guy, well known in the industry (he illustrated for many mags and other writers), and his illustrations are very good. If you are a DIY and tinkerer, and like traditional boats, you NEED this book. It is one of my favorites.
Purchased! Thanks for the tip.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Anywone have any direct experience with this?
Not with making blocks, but I have a pretty good hobby woodworking shop and recently was given my buddy's woodworking shop when he moved into a retirement home. Yes, more woodworking tools and equipment of which I have no idea with what to do.

Back on to track here, if you want to finish them to look like they've got a foot deep finish plus stay looking like like that forever without refinishing, maybe you can try this :

1722291900723.jpeg

The stairs are the original (1998) and were looking a pretty shop worn around the edges when I refinished them 15 years ago. Material is solid teak. Stripped with a jack plane and covered with one layer of light glass cloth, three layers of clear epoxy, and three layers of spar varnish. The cloth disappears completely because the glass has the same refractive index as the epoxy. Never been recoated after getting heavily used and still look identical.

I also did the stern seats many years ago with five coats of epoxy, no glass, and three coats of varnish :

1722293810292.png

Finish your blocks like this and people will be drooling over them for the remaining life of your boat.