Deck and Hull Paint Recommendations

Mar 21, 2024
Skeeter 185 Clinton
I've picked up my new-to-me Catalina 25. She's a 1988 and hasn't been sailed much. Sat in a yard the last two years, prior to that sat in a slip and sailed less than a 1/2 dozen times over the previous 5-6 years. The owner I bought her from was going to sail, but didn't. He or the previous PO couldn't tell me the last time she had her bottom painted. After I bought her I found one chip and 4 very small (pencil lead diameter) holes up in the non-skid area just aft of the anchor locker (can see fiberglass matt barely). Probably due to someone dropping an anchor or dragging it around on deck. I'm going to paint that area with "some" deck paint and maintain/paint her bottom this year. Can anyone make recommendations on deck paint that would temporarily seal those areas and bottom paint. I also will need some red hull paint and a light blue to paint the original hull lines. Recommendation on that paint as well is much recommended.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I assume you are okay with what it will look like after painting holes.
Alternatively, you might consider first determining if or how much moisture entered through the holes which could damage the core layer. You don’t want to simply paint over rot. If you’re very lucky and there is no damage, build up the areas with gelcoat to match the color which will obviate the need for paint.

Mar 21, 2024
Skeeter 185 Clinton
Thanks for your feedbabck. Hulls been out of the water for years now, the deck feels totally solid so my assumption is that not much damage, if any. I've been a boat owner - fiberglass power, freshwater, bass boats - for 20+ years and don't know of any other way to check under the glass if it's solid. Us freshwater bass boat types pull our boats out of the water after every trip so worrying/managing/monitoring moisture levels in the core is all new to me. Recommendations?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks for your feedbabck. Hulls been out of the water for years now, the deck feels totally solid so my assumption is that not much damage, if any. I've been a boat owner - fiberglass power, freshwater, bass boats - for 20+ years and don't know of any other way to check under the glass if it's solid. Us freshwater bass boat types pull our boats out of the water after every trip so worrying/managing/monitoring moisture levels in the core is all new to me. Recommendations?
Sounding it with a phenolic hammer is one way but can be misleading. Using a moisture type capacitance meter is another. Visual inspection by drilling some small holes and observing the condition of the tailings is a good way when repairs in the area are already planned.

I don’t know the construction of your boat but assume the deck is cored. If so, it’s almost inevitable that water/moisture has permeated the surrounding core especially because it has been unattended for years.

You have a small problem now. Checking the core ensures it stays a small problem.