Set your watch back 20 years

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
While I may have some of the new tech on my boat (chartplotters, AIS), I still practice and enjoy the fine art of sailing. There's nothing wrong with the Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeball! :beer:
My Mk I Mod 0 eyeball isn't quite what it used to be. Glasses help.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My Mk I Mod 0 eyeball isn't quite what it used to be. Glasses help.
When I had cataract surgery I was given options, to have good near vision, good distance vision or one near and one distance. i opted for the distance vision. On a good day I can spot a small buoy over a mile away. On the other hand, I can't read small print or low contrast print worth a damn, cheater glasses help a lot.

Mar 26, 2011
Also this:

6 Pilot Rules that Everyone Should Live By
The principle of “Aviate, Navigate, Communicate” is a fundamental tenet in aviation. There have been numerous aviation studies conducted revealing that pilots can become so engrossed in troubleshooting a problem that they inadvertently neglect their primary task of flying the aircraft.

The sailor's equivalent is "keep your eyes outside of the cockpit." Remember also that COLREGS says in Rule 5 (Look-out) that "Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision."

Note the "as well as" phrase, which means that eyes and ears come first, before instruments.

Mar 26, 2011
When I had cataract surgery I was given options, to have good near vision, good distance vision or one near and one distance. i opted for the distance vision. On a good day I can spot a small buoy over a mile away. On the other hand, I can't read small print or low contrast print worth a damn, cheater glasses help a lot.
My father was a professional artist. Gradually, his paintings were becoming blurry and the color pallet drab. I talked him into cataract surgery, and a week or so later he was back to painting as he had many years before.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
The world is complicated, sailing shouldn’t be... With all the new tech available today is sailing getting better or just more complicated?

Was boating better in the nostalgic "good ol' days"?
I find the access to real time weather radar, GRIB charts, and Other weather data to be a huge positive. So much better than listening to NOAA weather on the radio and trying to figure out what the days weather will be.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
The world is complicated, sailing shouldn’t be... With all the new tech available today is sailing getting better or just more complicated?

Was boating better in the nostalgic "good ol' days"?
Well, in the words of Yogi Berra, "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be".

Technology can free us from such bothersome things as learning how to use a sextant. It also makes us more dependant on it, and robs us, in a sense, of the romantic notion that we could sail the Ocean Blue with nothing more than our wits and a few good instruments.

I would say that the ancient Polynesians would like something more definitive than dead reckoning and reading the waves to find their way around the Pacific Ocean, but in certainty lurks boredom.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
As a mid 30 something I see modern electronics as more of a safety measure. We love to sail by the tell tales! Even carry paper charts although the Great Lakes are well charged. There’s a sense of adventure in being able to use all of the mechanical instruments, sextant, parallel rule, etc etc. We do however opt for the cell phone calculator in place of the slide rule!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As a mid 30 something I see modern electronics as more of a safety measure. We love to sail by the tell tales! Even carry paper charts although the Great Lakes are well charged. There’s a sense of adventure in being able to use all of the mechanical instruments, sextant, parallel rule, etc etc. We do however opt for the cell phone calculator in place of the slide rule!
I would describe this approach as being engaged. Bravo!