Bolt-rope main won't go to top of the mast

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I have a bolt-rope main (it's decent, but I want to replace it next season -- anyone know what size sail slugs I need on a '72?). I noticed at the end of last season that it didn't want to go all the way to the top of the mast. I can get it close ~ 6-12 inches, but then no matter how hard I pull on the halyard, it just won't go any higher. That means I always have a little bag in the sail near the boom.

I've temporarily lowered the boom a little so that I can get the sail tight, but it's not ideal. I checked the track this spring before launching, but couldn't find any issues. There doesn't seem to be anything catching, etc. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can try to investigate / fix it without dropping the mast? The boat sits on a mooring and really don't want to drop the mast there. Thanks.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are the vang and mainsheet loose when you’re raising the sail? If not the leech could be limiting the hoist. The other possibility is a halyard or sail track issue. To try to test that you could rig a small section of bolt rope in a patch of sail cloth with grommets for the halyard and a downhaul. Something like what’s shown at The Do-it-Yourself Sail Track Cleaner - Practical Sailor. See if that will go all the way to the top, then use a bolt rope to pull it down. Put some McLube Sailkote on it to lubricate the track for good measure.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Tie a line to the main halyard long enough so that you can pull up only the main halyard without the main sail. Will it go up as far as you expect? If it does, then try the same test with a disconnected slug. If it fails to go up as high, then you will have to drop the mast and test it.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
Tie a line to the main halyard long enough so that you can pull up only the main halyard without the main sail. Will it go up as far as you expect? If it does, then try the same test with a disconnected slug. If it fails to go up as high, then you will have to drop the mast and test it.

Yes this is probably the best way to test

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
The main halyard goes all the way to the top, and the vang and main sheet are loose. I'll see if I can find something that will fit in the track and hoist it to check the track.