55 years ago Apollo 11 was Launched heading to the Moon !

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Wow. I think Armstrong set foot on the moon on July 21, right?

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I was at Navy Officer Candidate School at Newport, RI, on that day when, “In order that as many as possible can have the opportunity to share as fully as possible in this surpassing occasion, I, RICHARD NIXON, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim Monday, July 21, 1969, to be a National Day of Participation…”

As a result, we were given the day off, and “base liberty” meaning we could go anywhere on the Navy base. I had learned that sailing from the Officers Club Marina was defined as “on the base.” So Joanne and I spent the day sailing on Narraganset Bay on one of their Rhodes 19’s with a picnic shrimp pack from the O Club. We had a transistor radio to “participate,” but have great memories of that special rime together!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was six years old, living in Clearwater, FL. I remember the news report on T.V. and running outside to see if we could see the rocket. The contrail was visible from rockets taking off from Cape Kennedy. I don't remember if I actually saw Apollo 11's contrail. I tell myself I could, but...

-Will

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
We saw the new movie "Fly Me To The Moon" on Sunday. It's about the events leading up to the Apollo 11 launch and moon walk. Not sure how much of the story line is true but it did show actual footage of the launch and moon walk. Very entertaining and a good reminder of the Apollo 1 tragedy and the Apollo 11 success.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The First Footprint of man on the MOON.

GSsncNdWsAA1iNO.jpeg

Neil and Buzz made those !

Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Today July 18th, 1969 per Buzz...

"Mission Day Number 3 was a big day! Neil and I entered the Lunar Module Eagle as part of our lunar landing preparation on July 20th, and Columbia transitioned out of Earth’s gravitational field as we ventured into the Moon’s orbit. And, NASA allowed us one extra hour of sleep! We needed it, particularly given the upcoming demands of the mission."

GSyzaYsXMAAszWc.jpeg

Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Buzz Aldrin, today remarked...

"July 20th, 1969 is a date that stands high in my life – it was the day that we, together as one people, achieved the greatest scientific and technological feat in human history. The specific role that Neil, Mike and I performed in the event was but one part of an immeasurably larger effort – not just for our nation, but for all mankind. As I look back on what we accomplished 55 years ago, I am still inspired by what we all saw and did – the best of America and the best of humanity. Thank you for the privilege and the honor of serving you, and for being part of this exciting and wonderous journey with me."

GS7AnFJWsAEXBAD.jpeg

Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
July 24th, 1969 , the crew of Apollo 11, successfully returned to Earth.

GTPpK7fXoAAa6jb.jpeg

Please note the Diving Crew wearing filtered Gas Mask and HazMat suits, for fear of an unknown bacteria from the Moon.
I remember the Crew was Quarantined for several days as a precaution.

Per Buzz Aldrin today....

"As with much of life, good things eventually come to an end, and our splashdown on July 24th marked the terminus of the Apollo 11 mission. Going as far as we did and leaving our footprints on the lunar surface was the mission and the adventure of a lifetime. But achieving that soft landing in the big, blue Pacific Ocean immediately reinforced the notion that there’s no place like home – a place one appreciates more after having been gone."

Heroes all on the NASA team !

Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The Apollo 11 Spacecraft is on Display here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Air_and_Space_Museum

You can look through a window and see the inside as the crew left it.

Apollo_11_Kommandomodul_%22Columbia%22.jpg

This is Buzz Aldrin putting down an Experimental Seismic Package that has a Laser Range finder for Moon Distance to Earth.
[Note that ranger finder was still working. It shows the Moon is moving toward Earth at 2 inches per year.:yikes:]

The LEM named Eagle is shown in the Background.

Aldrin_Looks_Back_at_Tranquility_Base_-_GPN-2000-001102.jpg

That Picture was taken by ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong

With only 5 seconds left in Fuel he finally told Houston
" The Eagle has Landed "

Houston radioed back...
"Copy, but we held our breath for 20 seconds"

Jim...

PS:
Apollo_11_insignia.png

• Helpful