Boat Mocs

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just bought boat shoes from Sperry, Dockers, and Florsheim. Florsheim are far and away the superior product. Returned the others.

Just sharing my experience.

I used to buy new Sperry mocs every year. Lately I've found them to be the least comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I literally threw away last year's pair. Like walking barefoot on concrete. Dockers seem nice, but the insoles stick to my feet and pull out of the shoes when I take them off. Hate that!

I love the Florsheim. It's the Atlantic Boat Shoe. If you search around you might find them at a very good price. I got one pair for $93 on Amazon, and another on another site on sale for $55. A real bargain.

(I have no affiliation with the shoe manufacturers or retailers.)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Interesting. I’ve given up on Sperry after every pair gets dangerously slippery after 1 season. I was looking for alternatives earlier this year and didn’t find any, but the Florsheim look worth checking out. I wonder how long the soles will last.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I use Birkenstock Milano sandals. They are excellent. Even though all leather, the leather holds up well even getting wet. The Milano does have the heal strap so they are firmly attached to my feet.

dj

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Interesting. I’ve given up on Sperry after every pair gets dangerously slippery after 1 season.
Same here, I haven’t found an alternative yet. Used to be that Sperrys lasted multiple seasons; however, quality has diminished. In years past, you could get them resoled, but no longer. Lack of availability of replacement soles from Sperry & higher labor costs have eliminated that option.
I usually keep watch for sales around Memorial Day or Independence Day for 25-30% discounts to buy a new pair.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I want a boat shoe to last long enough to at least get some paint on it.
Ha! Just finished a bottom job last week. Now have topsiders, that are about 18 months old, that are splattered with paint and will become yard shoes.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
West Marine used to have a house brand that I loved. Not sure which manufacturer made them, but I switched to Sperry when they were discontinued. I’ve had some frustration lately with Sperry design changes and fit, and now my favorite Sperry style has apparently been discontinued too. I’ve been considering Sebbago, but they’re pricey. I’d never thought of Florsheim, so they’re worth a look. Thanks for the suggestion.
As for how long boat shoes last, there are three phases. I’ve never gotten more than one or two seasons out of any brand as strictly deck/dock shoes before the soles begin to harden and lose grip. Then they become street shoes for a year or two before their final phase as boat yard painting shoes.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Decades ago I bought Sperry Boat Shoes, because they were the "thing" to have for sailing. Expensive, and after a couple of years got progressively slicker and dangerous. :confused:
Nowadays I use my Keen 'walking shoes' and their sole compound and tread pattern seems fine for sailing, even off shore. :)
Perhaps this might be called "thinking outside the (shoe) box!"

Comfortable and they have excellent traction, but one little caution is that the larger sole is a little bit more likely to catch on protrusions, whether on deck or walking down the sidewalk.
That's one Plus about the "'moc" type of shoe construction; perhaps semi-related to the comfort of owning proper "driving shoes" when on trips or campaigning your rally car, or doin' the heel-n-toe on the autocross course. (?)
Keen.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
West Marine used to have a house brand that I loved. Not sure which manufacturer made them, but I switched to Sperry when they were discontinued.
:plus:

Same here. The West Marine brand was longer lasting and less expensive than any Sperry’s I’ve found. When I saw them on clearance I was sad and picked up an extra pair, but I’ve worn them all out.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Love Keen -- the Merril "equivalents" are too narrow for my foot. I ended up purchasing a pair of cheap flip-flops at an ABC store in Hawaii and I love them. For $18 they're really really nice. But on the boat I just tend to go barefoot.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I used to buy Timberland 3-eye boat shoes from Sears and liked them the most. I don't like the 2-eye shoes of any brand very much. I see Timberlands are pretty expensive. Lately, I've been wearing a brand of shoes on board called "Hey Dude". They are very light and cheap - slip on easily and the grip seems pretty good!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
We wear boat shoes because they are the best shoes for a deck. Otherwise, they have poor support and are typically not made very well and are kind of wrong for every other use.

So why on earth would you wear deck shoes to walk around on rough gravel while working on the bottom? They are probably the worst possible shoe, other than heels or flip-flops. Or really any sort of boat maintenance or anything other than sailing when the deck might be wet and leaning? And multi-purpose sport shoe would be better.

I also don't get the focus on cheap. Your feet are your point of contact with the boat. Cheap out on something else.

---

My favorites?I like the fit of the Sperry Harbor Master, though I liked the older models better. Gill Race is OK. I've had Zihk. No strong favorites, as long as I can fit some type of orthodic. Full lace, no 2-eye of any brand. And always socks. No socks? Ick. Wear sandals.

Mar 26, 2011
Doesn't the classic boat shoe just scream uncomfortable? And sissy? And fashion rather than function-conscious?

I once went to the Sperry store in a big mall and asked where the actual deck shoes were. They said these are all boat shoes. I said ones people would wear on an actual sailboat. They said they are in the catalog, we can order them. They said these are fashion shoes. Yup. They were dumb fashion shoes in the 60s and it hasn't changed, 80 years later.

No padding. Insecure because the laces don't come up. Sticky and smelly because no socks. Leathers that will get wet and sweaty. Leather for laces (unless you're a native and can't get anything else, just all wrong). Stupid little heel that is just enough to make sure there is no arch support. and the traction isn't that great ... and if it was you would slide out of the them.

They've got better shoes at the Payless.

---

Now you know what I really think.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Doesn't the classic boat shoe just scream uncomfortable? And sissy? And fashion rather than function-conscious?

I once went to the Sperry store in a big mall and asked where the actual deck shoes were. They said these are all boat shoes. I said ones people would wear on an actual sailboat. They said they are in the catalog, we can order them. They said these are fashion shoes. Yup. They were dumb fashion shoes in the 60s and it hasn't changed, 80 years later.

No padding. Insecure because the laces don't come up. Sticky and smelly because no socks. Leathers that will get wet and sweaty. Leather for laces (unless you're a native and can't get anything else, just all wrong). Stupid little heel that is just enough to make sure there is no arch support. and the traction isn't that great ... and if it was you would slide out of the them.

They've got better shoes at the Payless.

---

Now you know what I really think.
Wow, you are coming across as not only a shoe snob, but an angry shoe snob! :)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
And multi-purpose sport shoe would be better.

I also don't get the focus on cheap. Your feet are your point of contact with the boat. Cheap out on something else.
Maybe cheap is not really the criteria. Hey Dude is just my version of going barefoot. Honestly, I've never seemed to have a problem with the grip of anything on the boat deck and the muscles & tendons in my legs & ankles do just fine on their own in terms of support - I've never needed arch support, either. My feet have never complained about anything, ever. I agree that just about any rubber sole is better than the 2-eye boat shoes, that's why I'll wear just about any multi-purpose athletic shoe on the boat, of which I have a variety. I also agree that the 2-eye boat shoes are sissy shoes. They look too girlish for me (not that I have anything against girls!).

So as far as shoes being a product that I need to geek-out on in terms of shopping for sailing, I can find way more items that will ultimately drive me into bankruptcy! ;)

BTW, I will only rarely wear sandals on a boat. I find that it is too easy to trip in sandals.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
BTW, I will only rarely wear sandals on a boat. I find that it is too easy to trip in sandals.
You have to use sandals that adjust to fit your foot and have a back strap keeping the sandal in place. Those then become just like shoes, except they have less material on the topsides.

Someone mentioned the Keens - great shoes but I can't wear shoes that have synthetic insoles. I had a really nice pair of their water shoes but my feet reacted to the synthetic insoles. It wasn't pretty...

I have to have leather insoles. My feet just can't handle synthetics... Makes for getting low-cost decent shoes almost impossible for me...

dj

Mar 26, 2011
I hope it was obvious I was just having fun with a rant. Shoes are always very personal and choices are nearly always 80% personal preferences.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
The Durbarry of Ireland Regatta deck shoe is a great shoe if you like the classic boat show look but they are pricey....
The soles are much better than Sperry and they generally hold up very well. If interested, get them at a boat show for a discount.