It's That Time Again .........................

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
....................... to pay the insurance man.

Every time I thumb through my insurance policy renewal, I have to wonder how many people have a policy with the same restrictions I have. Maybe most ?

1721852679955.png

If so, do they realize they may not have liability insurance ............or any insurance for that matter. Not good for people in Canada without a simple PCOC.

I can remember a case in BC in which a power boat wound up inside a houseboat back in 2010.

1721853999522.png

I remember seeing in a later article where the law suits against the power boat operator were in the millions and that he had violated almost every known boating regulation. I don't know if he had insurance but I guess it wouldn't have done him any good.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our policy with Travelers doesn’t have the explicit statement about breaches immaterial to the loss, although from what I read for example at Keep those fire extinguishers up to date! it may apply anyway.

I’m curious about the wording of the propane warranty. Is that to be interpreted as “[propane stoves and water heaters] with pilot lights” or “propane stoves and [water heaters with pilot lights]”? If it’s all propane stoves i wonder how many people shut off at the cylinder itself when leaving the boat, rather than just relying on the solenoid which should be near the tank.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Our policy with Travelers doesn’t have the explicit statement about breaches immaterial to the loss, although from what I read for example at Keep those fire extinguishers up to date! it may apply anyway.

I’m curious about the wording of the propane warranty. Is that to be interpreted as “[propane stoves and water heaters] with pilot lights” or “propane stoves and [water heaters with pilot lights]”? If it’s all propane stoves i wonder how many people shut off at the cylinder itself when leaving the boat, rather than just relying on the solenoid which should be near the tank.
I'm not exactly sure I understand what "shut off at the cylinder" means exactly but I suppose it means that the valve is shut off at the tank. I shut it off immediately after the solenoid switch is shut off every single time. My valve is off ALL the time except immediately before switching on the solenoid. It will surprise me if we learn that most sailors rely on the solenoid ... I've never even given that a thought. I consider myself to be relatively casual on a few safety & preventative measures but that's one where I've never even considered an alternative way.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm not exactly sure I understand what "shut off at the cylinder" means exactly but I suppose it means that the valve is shut off at the tank. I shut it off immediately after the solenoid switch is shut off every single time. My valve is off ALL the time except immediately before switching on the solenoid. It will surprise me if we learn that most sailors rely on the solenoid ... I've never even given that a thought. I consider myself to be relatively casual on a few safety & preventative measures but that's one where I've never even considered an alternative way.
Maybe I’m in the minority then, but Beneteau didn’t seem to design my propane locker with easy access in mind. To turn off the cylinder valve you need to: lift the helm seat, remove a board blocking the swim platform, lift a lazarette hatch, loosen a strap holding the propane locker closed, slide open the locker, close the valve, tighten the strap, and close and replace everything else. That’s not a process I want to go through twice every time I use the stove, or even every time I leave the boat. I do close the valve for winter.

Not the most illustrative picture, but the locker is a strapped closed box under where the red arrow points.
1721867279892.png

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I remember seeing in a later article where the law suits against the power boat operator were in the millions and that he had violated almost every known boating regulation. I don't know if he had insurance but I guess it wouldn't have done him any good.
I hope it was deemed invalid. A PCOC is so easy to get as to be almost useless, but th real value IMO is to filter out the people who are too lazy to even make an effort to be barely competent.

I don't see that requirement any different than auto insurance.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I rely on the solenoid. I assume that meets the definition of a “shut-off at the cylinder”.

Turn the gas off on the bottle when I haul out.

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just renewed my insurance this month; thankfully, same rate & policy provisions. I have had continuous coverage with same company for 12 years with no claims filed.

I ALWAYS turn off tank valve after using stove. Have it on my to do list to check hoses for abrasion & leaks. Really should investigate replacing hoses; they are approaching 18 years old.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
We turn on the tank when we board the boat and turn it off when we leave. In between, we rely on the solenoid valve.

But also, we didn't install the solenoid until 2022 during the major refit following the Hurricane Sally grounding. Prior to 2022, there was no DC breaker available on the 10 breaker 1980 panel board. I installed a 24 breaker panel during the refit to bring the boat closer to ABYC recommendations.

Insurance: Prior to 2020, we were with the lizard but we couldn't get re-insured with even liability to get the boat repaired. So we ended up with full coverage from the good neighbor people with more hull value and a lower premium. And because we had no claims in the two years the boat was on the hard, they lowered our premium even more. :huh: