Standing rigging repair

Jul 19, 2023
Catalina 27 Morro Bay
IMG_4172.jpeg
Could I temporarily prolong the life of my standing rigging by installing a screw on extension that would grip all the cable strands just above the turnbuckle on one of the upper shrouds where one strand has broken at the existing swage on the shroud termination?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Alameda, CA
Replace THEM ALL NOW or risk total rig failure. I would be very leary of the condition of the remaining rigging. It can be costly but not as costly as having to replace the mast, rigging and sails(?) in the event of rig failure.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don’t sail that boat with anyone you care about. If the rigging is that rusted and broken at deck level, it’s hard to imagine how bad it must be aloft.
Out of curiousity, how old is it?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Could I temporarily prolong the life of my standing rigging
Only you, being able to see the condition of your rigging, could possibly make that decision.

I would not sail a boat with that rigging failure. No information about the age of the rigging has been provided. For a strand to fracture and unwind like the shroud in your image is a serious event. You are sailing in the coastal waters of California. This puts greater stress on the rigging than in an interior lake and benign conditions.

It can be a tough pill to swallow. Your safety and that of your crew are the issue. :huh:

Best wishes.