Genset

Jul 21, 2024
C&C 29.1 Annapolis
Hello,
I’m new to this forum, currently buying a C&C 29.1 looking for Genset recommendation. Have any of you installed a portable one permently? I didn’t pay a lot for the boat not looking to spend a kings ransom on a genset. I have a good grasp of doing most everything just trying to not reinvent the wheel.

thank you

George

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Installing a permanent Genset on a 29' boat isn't very practical, what with the need for a seawater cooling system, locating and installation of the unit itself and whatever exhaust system installation is needed.
With a moderate need for 117vac and a good (hopefully you can afford a LiFePO4) battery bank, I think the super quiet Honda EU2200i Genset would be the way I'd go in your position. If you are going to be putting on rock concerts or lighting up the whole Anchorage, they even have a kit to run two, for that extra kick.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Do you have a dedicated space in mind? What is the available L-W-D of that space?
IDK where you would find room for a permanent installation of a marine generator in that size boat. A 2kw portable air cooled inverter generator should power whatever you have in mind.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Hello,
I’m new to this forum, currently buying a C&C 29.1 looking for Genset recommendation. Have any of you installed a portable one permently? I didn’t pay a lot for the boat not looking to spend a kings ransom on a genset. I have a good grasp of doing most everything just trying to not reinvent the wheel.

thank you

George
I've looked into installing a portable genset as a permanent installation and decided it was way too complicated and fraught with problems. It would have been enough work to permanently install a genset made for that. But given how much space it would require, I preferred to use that space for other things.

I decided to make an easy way to use the portable genset without making it permanent... Something a lot of people seem to think is not a good thing to do. But hey, it worked for me...

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In the past I spent a lot of time racing on a C&C29 a permanently installed genset isn't really an option due to space limitations.

The portable generators like the Honda are air cooled and the exhaust is not easily adaptable for a permanent below decks installation. They are also pretty heavy to be lifting in and out of a cockpit locker. Thus, most of the ones I have seen are secured in the cockpit some have cover over them to protect them when not in use.