What a day!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Well, I can’t say that it was the best day-sail ever, but it was pretty good. I invited a family from church to go out to pull my crab pots and a day sail this past Sunday afternoon. I was hoping I might again see the Humpback whale that I saw on Saturday. We headed straight out to the pots in a pretty hot and windlass day under the Iron Genny. The pots yielded up 15 very nice, big hard-shell Dungeness most of which were well over the 6” minimum size. As we were pulling the pots, we saw a pair of Harbor porpoises which are very shy and seldom seen very close.
1 Nice pot.png

Mount Baker was a reflection in Crescent Harbor and there was not a breath of wind to be seen anywhere. We briefly considered dropping the anchor while the pots continued to soak but it was miserably hot down below for us non-heat-tolerant Pacific Northwesterners, so the decision was to make it a short day and head back to the marina to clean our bounty and find someplace cooler for the rest of the afternoon.

After motoring about a mile towards the marina, I tiny breeze started to build with 3-kts true showing on the anemometer. When asked if they still wanted to sail, my guests suggested ice cream at Coupeville, so the sails were set from a beat into Penn Cove. On the way towards Penn Cove, I saw another C30 and circled over by him in hopes of a bit of a race but it was headed dead down wind towards completely calm water, so we abandoned that idea for the allure of fresh baked waffle cones.

As we were entering the Cove, I looked over to see if my friends 65’ Aerorig was on its mooring at Snatelum Point and briefly saw a black shape in the water and said, “I think we have whales”. That brought everyone out for the show. My friend’s son is an avid amateur photographer and they had been driving all over Whidbey Island chasing every reported whale sighting for the past 6-months and were always just a few minutes too late.

He promptly sang out “It’s Orcas!” so I eased the sheets to head over that way. I sailed to a point about 600-yards west of them and hove-to to watch the show. The pod consisted of one large male who was scouting ahead and a female with a yearling café and a very nearly newborn calf. The calf was tiny and still had the red coloration on the white belly patch from the placenta which is only visible for a few days after birth.

We were treated to synchronized Spy Hops. We were treated to some very nice tail slaps. We watched some of the cutest little jumps and splashes from the newborn calf. It reminded me of watching a newborn colt on his first trip to the pasture.
sync spyhop.jpg

We watched a kayak experience a close encounter of the Orca Kind with the female and yearling sliding by her close enough to touch. That caused a cheer from the hundred or so people on the beach. My young photog friend got several great closeup shots of the kayaker with her two new close friends. After the Orcas moved on, we sailed over by her and got her email so we could send her “her new favorite photograph”. She said, “You don’t realize how big and powerful they are until you are close enough to Feel their spray and Smell their breath.”
close encounters of the orca kind.jpg

After they swam past us at Long Point, they started heading west toward the head of Penn Cove and suddenly ice cream was not nearly so tempting. We motored up the center of the cove until we got to the Mussel beds. We then hove-to again and waited. A boater is not allowed to approach a Transient Orca pod closer than 300-yards but if they approach you, it is fine. We just drifted and hoped they would swim by close enough to see. As it turned out, we happened to be right at the meetup spot of two different pods. The 4-orca pod we had seen earlier came in from the east and another pod of at least 7 came in from the northwest corner of the cove. When they came together is was like the 4-th of July family picnic with much jumping, splashing and general showing off. They even enjoyed an afternoon snack of seal as evidenced by the boil of bright red water a few boat-length of our bow. They were close enough that we could see the picnic meal being passed around to the younger members of the family. We had several swim past our boat on their backs with their white belly’s showing beneath the clear water.
Baker Orca.JPEG

After about an hour at that spot, we spotted the Swiftsure which is a large high-speed jet powered whale watching boat with about 150 eager paying customers crowded on the observation decks. It headed toward the north shore of the Cove about a mile from where the Orcas were located. About that time, one of the big males gave a mighty sail slap right in front of us and all of the Orcas started swimming straight for the Swiftsure. It was like the tail slap said, “Alright everyone, it’s Show Time!”

We had been with them for over two hours, so we decided to let the Swiftsure have them without us and besides, there was a pretty big flotilla heading towards it because the locals track the whale watchers on AIS so the word was out. We swapped emails with another boat near us to swap some nice photos of each other’s boats with the whales in the foreground.
Papillon crop.jpg

We had a nice 4-knot breeze blowing back towards where our crab pots were soaking so we decided that a 5-mile spinnaker run would be a great way to get back to the pots so up went the kite. Given the light breeze, the best course was to sail a higher wind angle [which just so happened to send us directly over to where the Swiftsure] We reached over to a few boat lengths from the Swiftsure and gybed onto a course which was parallel to the one taken by the Orcas. They were in their prime with much jumping, tail slapping, spy-hopping and general Orca entertainment. Every time I have been around them in the wild, I have found that they do the most “stuff” when they have an audience. They all seem to be card carrying members of the Orca Entertainment Guild and only perform for an audience. Makes me wonder what sort of arrangement the commercial whale watchers have with their management.

The pots yielded up several more nice big crabs so we headed for the marina figuring that the fun was over. But wait, we weren’t done yet. As we entered the channel, I saw what I thought was a seal but on second look it was a pair of sea otters. I yelled “Otters!” and everyone came out on deck. It turned out to be a whole family of otters with maybe a dozen all swimming together. What a great finish to the day. Harbor seals, harbor porpoises, otters and orcas all in one afternoon less than 5-miles from my slip.

Oh heck, who am I trying to kid. It was THE GREATEST DAY SAIL EVER!!!!!!!!
close encounter 2.JPEG
orca 1.png
orca 3.png

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Nice write up.
I'd have to comment that the seal didn't have a very good day!
Well, it was a transient Bigg's Killer Whale pod after all. For those not familiar with the different types of Orcas, they are divided into two basic groups. The Residents and the Transients [recently renamed Bigg's Killer whales]. The difference between them is what they eat. The resident orcas eat only fish with chinook salmon being the primary choice. The Bigg's eat only ocean mammals: seals, sea lions, otters, dolphins, porpoises and other whales. The residents travel in large extended family groups, but the transients usually are in smaller hunting parties of 3-5 so this group of 11 was very unusual.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I didn’t know any of that. So thanks for the information. I understand that in the natural world it’s eat and be eaten. Once when we were transiting the Race of Long Island Sound we spotted a seal munching on a flounder.

Apr 5, 2009
My crabby buddy broght his gopro to see what is happening on the bottom. We got about 72 minutes of video but much of it was too dark to see because of a change in the tide. This is a short bit. Notice that there are several Thresher sharks eyeing the pot.
Crabbing 12 July 2024 (youtube.com)

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
Hmm ... I didn't realize the orcas really ventured inside (east) of Whidbey. Could you tell who they were? Looking at your photos, they don't look familiar. Probably transients, judging from the small group size, but they don't look like transients. Very cool. We occasionally see small transient pods out in the Strait of Juan de Fuca but, for the most part, we're just used to seeing the J pod and L pod. I guess this could be the K pod? Hard to tell from the photos.

Where did you spot the humpback? I seem to have a special kind of humpback repellent. In all my years sailing around here, humpbacks are always sighted wherever I JUST was a few hours or days earlier. If you tell me you saw it anywhere between Port Townsend and James Island, I would not be surprised since I just came through there and, of course, didn't see a thing.

Apr 5, 2009
Hmm ... I didn't realize the orcas really ventured inside (east) of Whidbey. Could you tell who they were? Looking at your photos, they don't look familiar. Probably transients, judging from the small group size, but they don't look like transients. Very cool. We occasionally see small transient pods out in the Strait of Juan de Fuca but, for the most part, we're just used to seeing the J pod and L pod. I guess this could be the K pod? Hard to tell from the photos.

Where did you spot the humpback? I seem to have a special kind of humpback repellent. In all my years sailing around here, humpbacks are always sighted wherever I JUST was a few hours or days earlier. If you tell me you saw it anywhere between Port Townsend and James Island, I would not be surprised since I just came through there and, of course, didn't see a thing.
In the past decade they have finally been coming back into Saratoga and Penn Cove for the first time sense the 1974 roundup. They are definitely transients {Biggs} especially given that we watched them grab a seal for lunch.
The humpback was in Crescent Harbor, just around the corner from Oak Harbor.
here is a screen shot of the June sighting report. General 1 — Orca Network

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward. They stopped tagging Orcas in 2016 for those in the Puget Sound. Now, as I understand, the coloration and fin images have been recorded. This data and the siting reports of the resident pod as well as the visiting pods are used to distinguish the transients from the residents.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We went whale watching twice out of Kennebunkport, ME and didn't see any. They gave us another set of "rain check" tickets which we gave to my in-laws who we were visiting. Of course they went out and their three hour scheduled trip took five because they saw so many different kinds of whales the Marine Biologist commentator wouldn't let the skipper head back in. Since then en route to Maine we've been able to see Finbacks breeching in MA Bay and we did have a Right Whale surface about 10 feet off our starboard bow as we were sailing into Provincetown MA once. Impressive animals.