Impellers - aftermarket or OEM?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Reading the Westbeke engine manual, in the winterizing section, they say to remove the impeller for theWinter and put the cover back on, and then reinstall the impeller in the Spring. I have never done that. For the O-ring, I use whatever's handy, usually Super Lube grease, but not that you only need a very light film, don't goop it on. You might stuff some grease in among the impeller blades to protect it before it draws a prime. The Westerbeke impeller kits come with a small vial of grease for that purpose.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
When you pull the cover off just to inspect, does this not tear/beat up the flimsy paper gasket or do you find you can just put the cover right back on, maybe with a tad bit of dishwashing liquid?
I can carefully remove the cover without damaging the paper gasket for the one year inspection. It always gets replaced along with the blade the second year. Don’t know if this makes a difference, but I always do that inspection in the spring after it’s all been pickled in antifreeze for five or six months. The paper gasket is never dry. If it was, silicone lube would probably be my choice.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If the part is listed on ebay or Amazon with a brand name not found anywhere else but in that ad, I'd be suspect.

If the part is from a company that only sells on ebay or Amazon and does not seem to have a physical address, I'd be leary

If a part is listed on ebay without a brand name at all, I'd be doubly suspect.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If the part is listed on ebay or Amazon with a brand name not found anywhere else but in that ad, I'd be suspect.

If the part is from a company that only sells on ebay or Amazon and does not seem to have a physical address, I'd be leary

If a part is listed on ebay without a brand name at all, I'd be doubly suspect.
Gotcha.

The place I bout it from is a seller called Eastboat Parts, based in Perth Amboy, NJ. It looks like they sell mostly impellers, pumps, parts kits, outboard parts, etc. Some stuff is drop-shipped from China, but not all or most.

I'll see if there's a brand identification on it when I get it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Follow up.

So, I have three spares now! One new Westerbeke OEM 34440 impeller kit, $44.10; one StayCoolPumps impeller kit I forgot I had purchased last Fall, $30; and now this one that I bought on eBay, $17. It arrived today, nicely packaged in a heat sealed bag, with two different paper gaskets and an O-ring, but no grease. No marking or label as to who made it or where. It looks O.K. I will save it as an emergency backup.

BTW, my son says "go with OEM." :)