Whit Lock Mamba Steering System

Mar 24, 2014
Hunter 410 Fort Lauderdale
Hunter Passage 456 whit Lock Steering System pulls to starboard strongly about engine 2000 rpm. No auto helmet on! Need to find somebody that works on them. Located near Annapolis, Maryland. Buying boat and need help to fix
Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Need help trying to diagnose and name of someone to fix it. Located near Annapolis, Maryland.
more info…

was the boat hauled during survey? What prop? Was it and the bottom clean? Was rudder inspected? Rudder post secure?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If the wheel moves freely at other speeds I think it’s unlikely that the problem is from the mechanics of the steering system itself. It could be a rudder issue, but It’s not unusual for the wheel to have some pull from the effect of the propeller spinning. You could try getting the boat up to speed then shifting into neutral. I’ll bet as the boat coasts without the torque of the prop the pull will dissipate.

Mar 24, 2014
It was hauled amd there was minimal spray washing needed to clean hull and rudder. The 3 blade prop was ok. The Surveyor noted some bushing wear & rudder core large dead voids and rudder core softness must be addressed.

Mar 24, 2014
Thank you, I feel it's the rudder. The Surveyor noted large dead spots and softness in the rudder. What I don't understand is what the rudder is doing. When turning to starboard woth some speed is it flexing or bending or the bearings strained? It's a very strong pressure to turn to starboard.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Bushing or bearing wear could lead to difficulty turning but not really a pull. If there were soft spots significant enough for the shell to “oil can” then that could affect the hydrodynamic properties of the foil and make it pull.

Mar 24, 2014
Thank you. I am going to ask to replace the rudder. $7,000 for rudder & shipping, $3,000 for yard to install, sand gel coat, prime and put bottom paint on

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@Simple Life - if you are still interested in finding someone to look at your boat let me know. There is a guy down here I've done a lot of work with - he's very good. I would have posted earlier but wanted to ask him if your problem was in his wheel house. He just answered me with an affirmative. Let me know if you still are interested and I'll get you his contact info.

dj

p.s. Let me know where you are located - Annapolis region is pretty broad

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm thinking it's prop wash, and the only thing that will cure it is a different prop or different prop pitch.

Mar 24, 2014
@Simple Life - if you are still interested in finding someone to look at your boat let me know. There is a guy down here I've done a lot of work with - he's very good. I would have posted earlier but wanted to ask him if your problem was in his wheel house. He just answered me with an affirmative. Let me know if you still are interested and I'll get you his contact info.

I am in Galesville, Maryland and interested. Thank you

p.s. Let me know where you are located - Annapolis region is pretty broad

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Ah, well I'm on the North side of Annapolis, you are south. Looks like over an hour drive from here to .Galesville.

Just talked to Rick and he thinks it's too far away.

dj