Yanmar 2gm kill switch issue

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
The kill switch does not work. If it is pulled and attached to fuel kill lever it does not pull. If it is pulled and attached to nothing it slides as expected. If it is pulled and I hold the end with it unattached to anything else it doesnt pull. I have attached a pic of the control.cable in the engine compartment. The yellow line parallels the kill switch cable. Is it too long?

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I doubt there's a kill switch as to an electrical solenoid.

Follow the cable back to the small lever on the engine and see if moving the lever by hand will stop the engine. The cable can be any length and is never too long, the internal wire is not in he correct location ............ yet. A few adjustments and you're back in business again.

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
Make certain the outer jacket of the cable is secured in the correct location.
The
I doubt there's a kill switch as to an electrical solenoid.

Follow the cable back to the small lever on the engine and see if moving the lever by hand will stop the engine. The cable can be any length and is never too long, the internal wire is not in he correct location ............ yet. A few adjustments and you're back in business again.
I can move the lever by hand and it kills the engine as expected.

What do you mean by correct location? The kill lever end is attached to bracket on the engine and the other to the knob on the control panel.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For any control cable to work, the outer jacket needs to be secure and not move. If only one end of the jacket is secure it won't work. There should be a small bracket near the lever on the engine the out jacket connects to, it will have lock nuts to adjust the the position. See the image below, it is from a Yammer 3jh2e and should be pretty standard. The lever is off to the left hidden.

tempImageYT5meU.png

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
For any control cable to work, the outer jacket needs to be secure and not move. If only one end of the jacket is secure it won't work. There should be a small bracket near the lever on the engine the out jacket connects to, it will have lock nuts to adjust the the position. See the image below, it is from a Yammer 3jh2e and should be pretty standard. The lever is off to the left hidden.

View attachment 225953
Yes. The end of the control cable sheath is attached firmly. It doesnt move at all in any of the cases above. Its as if the inside cable has just enough force to move only of there is nothing for it to pull.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes. The end of the control cable sheath is attached firmly. It doesnt move at all in any of the cases above. Its as if the inside cable has just enough force to move only of there is nothing for it to pull.
Ok, you might try lubricating the cable. Also check for tight bends or kinks.

The cables are pretty cheap and readily available, about $40 as I recall and the only come in 2 sizes, long and very long. When I needed one the Yanmar dealer in Marathon, FL had them in stock. Must be a common replacement.

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
Update: removed cable and pulled wire out, but could only get about 3ft of an 8ft cable to come out as it was catching on something. No idea what. I cleaned then lubricated it. Worked it back and forth for the length I could. Reinstalled and it works now!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Update: removed cable and pulled wire out, but could only get about 3ft of an 8ft cable to come out as it was catching on something. No idea what. I cleaned then lubricated it. Worked it back and forth for the length I could. Reinstalled and it works now!
Good news. Did you try moving the fuel cutoff by hand to make sure it works properly?

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
but could only get about 3ft of an 8ft cable to come out as it was catching on something.
Very likely due to the original bend on the end of the wire to prevent it from coming out of the end of the cable. Had a hell of a time getting mine out and opted to pay the approx. $50.00 for a new cable.

Check to see if you have a packing gland on the control end to keep water out. Packing is "O" rings. If so, keep that lubricated so the internals stay dry.

1720840655886.png

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
I looked at the control end of the wire and noticed a little deformation thay I assume was from the screw used to attached to the throttle lever. I tried to feel where it was catching and worked it in that area thinking I could get it past that point. My cable just has the control knob and a bare wire on the engine end. If it stops working I will juat get a new one. Not sure how old the one I have is.