electric windlass

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
@DZinger - it sure if this would be interesting... isn't mine, just saw it and then this thread, so connecting the dots so to speak.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Un « rendez-vous » ou des « rendez-vous » are written and pronounced the same way. Maybe it depends on the region or the language.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Interesting. On our 37 the blower is also powered by a relay, but it comes on as soon as the power button on the panel is turned on. I’ll double check my thruster and windlass this weekend.
You are absolutely right! :facepalm: The blower starts when the power at the panel is turned on... I do know that we tested the windlass without the engine running earlier this spring, and it did not operate without the engine actually running.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have a 2003 Beneteau 331 and would like to install an electric windlass.
Any comments as to a vertical or horizontal model, if so, what model do you recommend?
There is a dedicated recessed space on deck (aft of anchor locker cover) for a vertical windless. Beneteau offered Lewmar "concept" model windlass as an option, back then; however, that windlass is obsolete and no longer available. I spent approximately 50 non continuous charter days on a Beneteau 331 equipped with the Lewmar windlass. It had a 3/8" chain gypsy and drum. The ground tackle consisted of 35' of 3/8" chain spliced to a 5/8" nylon rode ( approximately 125' in length) and a Lewmar 33 lb claw type anchor. That set-up was adequate for Gulf Coast sailing. The power supply was from the house bank via cables to the windlass.
Approximately 10 years ago, I installed a windlass on my Beneteau 343. The set-up was similar to that described on the 331. I purchased a Lewmar V2 windlass and used 38' (each leg) 1/0 tinned marine cable for the cable run. There is a dedicated 80 or 90 amp circuit breaker mounted on the same wood panel as the battery switches, adjacent to the battery banks. The controller is a hand held unit that I usually store in the cabin, when not in use.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
DO YOUR HOMEWORK and run the numbers for a properly sized cable from your house bank to the windlass and back.
Lewmar provides a worksheet to determine the proper size cable for a specific windlass model, in the installation instruction manual. Not much homework required.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So typical of newbie posters. Asks for help, gets a variety of answers, and doesn’t have the courtesy to reply. Geez, I give the guy info about the factory configuration & detailed alternative and get no response. Forgive me for my attitude; I have been working in the boatyard all day in 92 degree temp and awful humidity painting bottom & waxing topsides. Thank God that this haul out is coming to a successful conclusion; SPLASHING on Monday AM!!

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Gonna chip in here with almost no knowledge of the topic… recently purchased a Milwaukee drill with 1400nm torque, and a harken 1/2in bit to fit the winch. That was my $200 alternative to the $1200 electric winch handles and it works amazingly. Could you also use something like this on a simple windless system? Maybe?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Could you also use something like this on a simple windless system? Maybe?
Have a friend who used a Milwaukee to raise his conventional mainsail & to unfurl his Genoa. Amazing how much torque that drill produced! Perhaps it coul be used with a modified manual windlass.

One thing for certain is that the cost of a windlass has likely doubled since I installed mine ten years ago! Was looking at my file a few nights ago when replying to this thread and the total cost of the Lewmar V2 windlass, cables, fuse, & controller was approximately $2300 with no labor cost as it was a DIY project. The cost of the windlass only is now close to $2800 excluding all other components. Add in 16 man hours of labor costs & you’re approaching $5000 for a light to medium powered windlass! Crazy!!:yikes:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have a friend who used a Milwaukee to raise his conventional mainsail & to unfurl his Genoa. Amazing how much torque that drill produced! Perhaps it coul be used with a modified manual windlass.

One thing for certain is that the cost of a windlass has likely doubled since I installed mine ten years ago! Was looking at my file a few nights ago when replying to this thread and the total cost of the Lewmar V2 windlass, cables, fuse, & controller was approximately $2300 with no labor cost as it was a DIY project. The cost of the windlass only is now close to $2800 excluding all other components. Add in 16 man hours of labor costs & you’re approaching $5000 for a light to medium powered windlass! Crazy!!:yikes:
Ten years is a long time. The windlass price increased by 21% which spread out over 10 years is just 2.1%. From this perspective, the winch is still expensive, however, but not out of line with average inflation over the past 20 years.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On our boat, the windlass will not operate if the motor is not running, we've tested it with just the panel on, nothing. The relay is activated by output from the alternator, no output, no windlass. We had a conversation at one of our Rendezvous (is that plural?) with our dealer, who is a friend of ours. We tested it the next time we went out to make sure we weren't spreading incorrect information.

[EDIT]: The same relay also provides power to the engine compartment blower. I posted a thread several years ago about our engine blower quitting, and a charge alarm sounding while we were cruising. It was a broken wiring connecter to the relay, the battery was probably charging just fine. They may also use a similar system for bow thrusters, etc., especially if each of these power hungry components does not have their own dedicated battery.
I double checked mine today. Both the windlass and thruster operate as long as the “ignition” is on, regardless of whether the engine is running. I guess Beneteau wired something differently between the 34 and 37, or in years of the production run. (Ours is a 2014.)