O'day 20 Centerboard

Jul 11, 2024
O'day 20 Kootenays
I have a 1974 O'day 20. I've just removed the nylon pin and centerboard. The pin is 1" (25.30 mm) diameter and the hole in the centerboard is 1.22" (31 mm) diameter. When I sail I do feel the movement of the centerboard because of the loose fit. My question is "Was that tolerance designed to allow less stress on the pin, or should there be a bushing in the centerboard for the pin to be a snug fit? There doesn't seem to be any wear around the centerboard hole, but the loose fit does allow for the centerboard to rub up against the inside of the cavity, rubbing the paint of some of the centerboard, but not inside the cavity. I removed the pin and centerboard to stop a leak that I believe is coming from that area.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've had two centerboard boats and sailed a few others. I don't think any had a rigid centerboard assembly. Even boats with a dagger board have a little play (Or you wouldn't be able to get the board in and out).
I think a little play in the system does relieve stress points.
The nylon pin would wear more than a metal pin. But the OP is talking about a 1974 boat. If the pin is in the whole in tact the wear can't be that bad.
The leak on the other hand could be a problem If the leak stops with the removal of the centerboard and pin, then I would fear that the stress of the centerboard is opening a crack in the centerboard housing.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Question: Is your centerboard designed with Stainless Steel plates holding Wedges up into the cavity? Does the pin rest on the wedges?
IMG_0142.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I could help you further if you would like. I ask again: Question: Is your centerboard designed with Stainless Steel plates holding Wedges up into the cavity? Does the pin rest on the wedges?

Jul 11, 2024
O'day 20 Kootenays
I could help you further if you would like. I ask again: Question: Is your centerboard designed with Stainless Steel plates holding Wedges up into the cavity? Does the pin rest on the wedges?
No the centerboard has a nylon pin without the wedges. I think I can solve the leak problem also.