Toyota Rav 4 for towing

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Thoughts on towing 1976 Catalina 22 swing keel a short 5 miles twice a year. Roads are local and no highways or traffic lights involved. The Rav 4 is a 2024 and the trailer is a 2019 with surge brakes. Thanks

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
If the question is will it move the boat a short distance the answer is yes. If your asking if its a good idea no. The Rav 4 according to google has a 1,500-3,500 towing capacity depending on engine and other factors. The Catalina 22 loaded on a steel trailer with anchor, water, etc will be pushing 4,000 lbs on the heavy side and 2,500 on the light side (racing vs cruising).

What this means in practice is that you will move the boat but struggle to get it up the ramp after retrieval and to hold the boat and trailer on the ramp during launching (small vehicle breaks and tires for traction). Moving down the highway is actually the least demanding part of towing though if the tongue weight is off at speed the boat would toss the car around like a toy.

My recommendation is that for only twice a year rent a truck for the launch and retrieval. That way you know you're good. Your vehicle would easily move it around a level yard for winter storage or working on projects, etc.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Also, you want the tow veihicle to outweigh the trailer so the trailer doesn't throw the tow vehicle around - very dangerous.

This is not always true. A semi tractor rarely outweighs the load on the trailer. Even my F150 which has a curb weight of around 5000lbs can safely tow upwards of 14,000 lbs according to ford in the right configuration.

The Trailer balance and tougue weight has far more to do with safe towing than the weight of the tow vehicle. Still though a larger vehicle will handle the load better with larger breaks, tires, etc...

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Semi-tractor use fifth-wheel hitches, much different. This is basically true, especially for small vehicles like a Rav4. 14,000 lbs will throw your F-150 around like a rag doll if it gets sideways. I've seen it happen and the results are not good.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
14,000 lbs will throw your F-150 around like a rag doll if it gets sideways. I've seen it happen and the results are not good.

I agree and I would not try it either. We tow our rig 5000 plus miles every year and have seen some sketchy things on the road. However I was just going by what the official documentation says. Our boat weighs 3500lbs rigged for racing and closer to 4300 loaded for cruising for a week. Even at that weight over the rockies or other mountain passes you feel it. On the flat planes it's not such a big deal. Ford may be a bit generous in their estimates but the tow vehicle does not always need to outweigh the trailer.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 5.43.30 PM.png

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I towed my 88 wing keel fully loaded with a 2018 Toyota 4runner quite a bit. Longest trip about 240 miles one way. It was pretty sketchy on downhill runs as I didn't really have the desired stopping power. I think the 4runner is a little beefier than the rav4 but it still wasn't ideal. Had plenty of power tho. Now I tow with a 2021 Tundra and it is a lot better. Still would be uncomfortable towing it long distance and would prefer a 3/4 ton truck.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Highlander will be much better. I would've tried towing with the Rav4 at slow speed, with plenty of following distance. I have a lot of experience towing however. Driving at night would mean less cars to cut you off. You'll run into issues when going to fast and when braking. Overloaded vehicles have a tendency to squat at the back and raise in the front. 70-80% of your braking is done with the front tires. If the rear is squatting, the front has less weight on the front. When I first started towing, I didn't know all of this. My rear was practically riding on it's suspension bumpers. I came to a normal stop from 10-15mph. My front tires skidded and skreetched. Not good in a busy downtown setting with pedestrians!